Sign in to follow this  
Roel_Wessels

New Flight Deck Solutions 7 segment LEDs

Hi there,Maybe you have noticed too, that FDS is now showing a new production of the NAV, ADF and VHF-COMM panels for the 737.A picture is here.http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/_assets...s/361-large.jpgThey look nice, but what I thought was even better, was that the 7 segment displays are actually upright. I.e. not inclined such as most on the market today! So apparently they ARE being sold!Regards,Roel.

Guest PoRrEkE

These look nice indeed. However they are for sure NOT 7-segments. Must be LCD's or fake ones.Just compare the .10 on the left side with the .95 on the right side. The space taken by the 1 on the left side is not whide enough to "host" a 9 or any other number. So for sure, no 7-leds !

Hmmmm, that's what I noticed too. But this is the email conversation I had with Peter Cos from FDS before posting it in this forum.-------------------------->Hi Peter,>>I saw your new product on the homepage of your website. It features the new VHF Comm radio with the new LED displays.>>I have been looking for the

PoReKe,It sad, but..... the display was indeed fake.Reply from Peter Cos:>Those are fake engraved parts for the sake of the prototype.>PCWell, we'll just have to continue looking for the right parts. The best I found was a 5 degrees (as oposed to the 10 degrees) inclined 7 seg displays though, at Kingbright.It is the SC36-11YWA (9mm (0.36INCH) single digit, CC, yellow)Have a look at these:http://www.kingbright.com/product/html/pro...etailCategory=8data sheet for this series http://www.kingbright.com/download/pdf/Sx36(V1).pdfCould be used perfectly for most hardware panels I think.Roel.

Guest MattOlieman

I don't understand the purpose of this thread unless it's intent is just plain malicious.If there is a misunderstanding between a customer and a vendor, then it would seem to me, the customer should speak directly to the vendor. Why involve the rest of the world?BTW, beautiful picture, workmanship is fabulous, as usual Peter. I appreciate what Peter has made available to the Flight Sim Builder community.

Guest PoRrEkE

I'll have no such problems. I plan on going for LCD's anyway with PHCC.In real they use LCD's anyhow. Price for LCD's is comparable with 7-segment leds. Not 1LCD = 1segment but 1LCD = 5segments which you need as minimum to form a number. Or at least I do .. I don't have hdg/crs. Only one below 5 is the xpdr.

Guest PoRrEkE

The reason is quite simple.. he though that he had found the none italic segment displays. And he wanted to share this finding with the others, whom might (just like him) be on a quest to find those.No harm done in this thread I think ?

Matt,I'm sorry if this caused harm to you or anyone else. It's intent was like PoReKe said, just that I thought that Peter Cos had found the best 7 segments in the world! But because I couldn't believe my eyes I emailed Peter to make sure that my eyes were right. Then when PoReKe explained it couldn't be 7 segment displays I wanted to show the reply of Peter. Well you get the point, I hope.It was not intended to be malicious, in fact I'm really considering buying parts from FDS. That's why I asked if the displays were available in the MCP's.Hope this solves the case,Kind regards,Roel Wessels,The Netherlands.

Guest MattOlieman

Perhaps, it was MY misunderstanding. Please accept my apologies.

>Accepted, ;-)>>Roel.Then again, does it matter? They do the job just fine :)Maybe I'm just weird, but I'd be inclined to think there are a thousand other things more important in making a good simulator cockpit than trying to find the exactly right displays.. now come on guys.. :) Sure, it's like the real thing, but hey... like I said, my approach to cockpits is not of scale modelling but more a functional approach..The panels from Peter are looking better and better every day. I think that the yellow knightbright leds or the blue ones would look fabulous on that NAVCOM.//Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

The reason I chose LCD's instead of LEDs is not because the inclination of the italic numbers. My reason is the dot.With 7-segments the "." is very very close to the left which gives the total number (e.g. a freq.) more of an appearance like it is a 5 digit number (11256) than it does look like what it should (112.56).They should make 7 segment displays with 7 leds, not 8 and then sell a "." as a separate cube so you can put it anywhere in between. That would make things look way better.Or else, do lik I will .. take a 2*8 negative backlit LCD and wire it to the future PHCC interface. Then just put it behind your panel and mask all the characters which you don't need. Very handy and not much work to solder them ! Just a male connector the the print and then some flat cable ... done.

Guest mmorrell

>Perhaps, it was MY misunderstanding. Please accept my>apologies.>>You Big Iron boys can be so cranky :)

Guest kdarling

>They should make 7 segment displays with 7 leds, not 8 and>then sell a "." as a separate cube so you can put it anywhere>in between. That would make things look way better.Since the decimal is always on, you could use a tiny LED and/or a fiber-optic "dot" as the decimal point.I like LCDs too, btw. I use a inverse red-backlit 20x2 USB LCD as my display... looks just like red LEDs.Kev

Guest PoRrEkE

If it does look like red LEDs, then you are better off with LCDs. Specially if you have multiple LCDs compared to lots of 7segments. Each 7segment requires 9 wires. The first LCD requires 16 wires, the next only 1 ( + 8 & 2 wires coming from the previous LCD ) etc etc. 1 chain and each LCD just takes up 1 extra wire.