Sign in to follow this  
Guest perchas

Dual and Triple Rotary Encoders

Guest Baba

Hy,here few pictures about my MCP 767 in progress using the dual encoders....byeValerio

Guest perchas

Hello allGood news,We have all encoders ready, I have to modify the doubles with switch, the C&K switch isn

Guest MajorFibbs

Slightly off-topic.Rafael, do you plan to activate your homepage again?I would appreciate that, because you have very useful hints for all cockpit builders.

Guest perchas

Hello, The encoders are just ready for shipment, you'll receive a message from PayPal.Customers from Europe Union will be charged with an additional 16% VAT (that we've already paid).In case of doubt please contact us.GreetingsRafael

Okay, time to drag this thread back up (boy is it getting long :))I received my dual concentric ones from Rafael today, and I must say he has come up with a very good and clever solution here. The construction is simple and yet strong, thanks to the strong encoders with a metal holder. I knew the good ideas he has been sharing with panels and other tips, so I wanted to get a few of these to see how he did it :) (and not just for fun, the radio panel does have a real need for these also :))http://tigert.com/aviation/vatsim/cockpit-stuff/rotary2.jpgHere's a photo I took - notice how the the metal straps of two identical encoders are cleverly welded together, back to back after the "old and trusty" drill-through-shaft-and-insert-pipe concentric thing was done to the encoders. This gives a very compact "unit" and uses the same, great idea as the tutorial that uses the 12-position switches. Very nice! Works just as fine, but the size is a lot smaller.Rafael, can you tell us the exact Bourns switch model number btw? These look like good encoders in general too!//Tuomas

Guest terrya

I have also recieved my encoders from Rafael, my version is the dual with switch. I totally agree with Tuomas's comments about the quality of construction. I'm going to use then to replace the ones I built using nylon gears in my GNS530. These ones are both more positive and take up less space.Attached are pictures of both my efforts and Rafael's with switch version

Guest redman99

Hi all,I too have now received my encoders from Rafael,They are every bit as good as I was expecting. The quality is great, and they have a nice weight to them.I cannot wait to get them into my pedistal (if only my overhead wasn't taking so darn long!!)I will post some pics later when I can.Thanks Rafael.Chris

Guest sri777

Hi Rafael,Are there any of these still available? I am hoping they are!!If yes, can you tell me how to make a request? thankssri

Guest MajorFibbs

HelloI'm about to transfer my cockpit-hardware from FSBus to IOCards. So far everthing went well, but up to now I couldn't get my Knitter Rotary Inputs running. I searched almost every forum and read through most of the documentation. But no luck.I understand that Knitter would act like switch, but was not able to define it in IO-Config. Should I define as a switch or as a rotary encoder?Anybody an idea? Please also include the proper settings for IOCard Software / IOConfig.This would be very helpful. Thanks in advancehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/152843.jpg

Guest MajorFibbs

Hello RaphaelI finally switched to IOCards coming from Opencockpits. I also get a bunch of CTS288 encoders. Unfortunately they cannot be modified such as to convert them into a dual concentric encoder.Do you still sell you solution made out of Bourns encoders?Thanks for any input. Valentin

>I understand that Knitter would act like switch, but was not>able to define it in IO-Config. Should I define as a switch or>as a rotary encoder?You should define it as two(!) switches. One switch is switching between on-off-on-off-on... when turning one way, the other switch is switching between on-off-on-off-on-... when turning the other way round.Note that only one of the two switches is active when turning the knob (depending on CW or CCW). Like I already told you, a Knitter switch is not an encoder. ..You just connect the middle pin of the Knitter to the ground and the other two pins to two inputs. So you have got two switches. You can then use these switch inputs in SIOC to add or subtract numbers from radio frequencies.Altough I would say that using a 2 bit Gray type encoder with 1/4 cycle per detent, directly connected to two consecutive inputs of the Master Card, would be a far better idea.Regards,Nicowww.nicokaan.nl1704.png

Guest MajorFibbs

HelloYes. I dropped the idea to use my old Knitter. I tried what you explained, using the Knitter as 2 switches (CW + CCW) but I was not satisfied with the response. A lot of steps were lost. End of story, I turned to 2-bit gray.So for the mastercard I organized 2-bit gray code encoders, for the time being CTS-288. They work well. But I'd like to build again a dual concentric, but without using gears or other crazy ideas. I like very much the solution from Raphael. But in the report he is not telling us which type / brand of encoder he used. Anyway, time will find out. I found some datasheet and I am pretty much sure that this is a Bourns ECW1J-B24-BC0006 or similar.I almost understood the gray code. But what about the pulses/rev.? For IOCards, does it need to be 6 pulses/rev? What if according a datasheet there are 24 pulses/rev.?Regards - Valentin