Sign in to follow this  
Kimchoc

Recommendations for a 3 monitor setup??

Guest raymondt

Hi,This can be done with the Matrox triplehead2go ; http://www.matrox.com/mga/offhome/th2go/home.cfmIt can also be done with multiple systems and wideview, but using triplehead2go is simply better, because then you have the same weather (clouds etc) on all 3 screens. I'm about to purchase a th2go myself. Kind regards,Raymond

Does Matrox still make the triple head card? You still need a good video card with this adapter. It seems that iit may be better to just buy the Matrox video card? This should really work well for a fighter cockpit.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Its not a videocard. The 3head2go is an external hardware box. You connect it to your VGA port. Then connect the 3 monitors to the box.On the matrox side you will find a list with compatible videocards (about geforce 6200 and up). You can even donload a program that checks your system for compatibility.I am serious considering to buy this thing too. I am still in doubt between a videoprojector with a bended mirror and this 3head2go.I know of several people that changed from projector to multiple monitor setup (parhelia/wideview/3head2go). I do not know of anybody that changed the other way around.I would like to get the opinion of people that have experience with both setups. What is their favourite and why?regardsNorberthttp://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.bosch/

>Does Matrox still make the triple head card? You still need>a good video card with this adapter. It seems that iit may be>better to just buy the Matrox video card? No it might not be better.The reason is simple, and Matrox realized it too: NVidia is way way ahead, and catching up is too hard. So they were smart instead of trying to run behind. The Parhelia was nice, but today it is way way outdated in terms of performance.With the triplehead2go you CAN have any latest, blazingly fast and neat whizbang wideocard from NVidia*. So you can upgrade your setup without having to stay married to an obsolete triplehead card. Way good idea from Matrox.(ATI has compatibility issues because they did not share specs with Matrox for video modes, according to reviews)//Tuomas

Unless you already have some quality components, price wise this system will cost as much or almost as much as a projector. If I were to purchase this system it would cost me:$300 Matrox Triplehead2go$200 Good Nvidia card. (I currently have an ATI 9700 series, which has worked fine)$750 Three decent 19" LCD monitors$ 50 Fan to cool the Nvidia video cardThis totals $1300. I think it would be a better system for a fighter cockpit where you have a centerline view and, would get a wider perspective. I am not sure on an airliner, with two pilots. However, the system would be limited to flight sim use or maybe video gaming.A projector will cost about the same and be a useful for DVD movies or watching TV with the use of a video card that has TV out, such as some of the ATI cards. Something to consider.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest rolandvanroy

Although somewhat dated, I prefer the parhelia card with 3 CRT or LCD over a projector connected to a newer video card. Big fresnel panels are hard to get, but if you can get your hands on a 40" fresnel (from old PTV) like I placed before the 3x15" LCD's, it makes the outside view incredible! See also http://www.simprojects.nl/parhelia_with_freshnel.htmRoland

Roland, that is an impressive site. And as a matter of fact I happen to have one of those old huge projectors out in my garage right now. The guts have long been gone and I have been using one of those old 3 lens projectors to display a picture in the old cabinet. It also dawned on me one day that the screen was a freshnel. Alot of potential there.My current simpit has a freshnel for the top monitor and I am not very impressed. It turned out to be the wrong specs and I have had a hard time finding one that will have the proper specs so I am not sold on the freshnel quite yet. I am particulary interested in achieving that spanned view of a 3 monitor setup. For this pit, I think perhaps a projector will be a nice upgrade without having to hack the pit itself up a whole lot. I am going to build the second generation pit this winter and thats when I want to explore this 3 view deal and start to accumulate some hardware.. We just keep expanding and improving, dont we? Thanks for all comments. Keep them coming. http://eecherrors.homestead.com/latestpic.jpg http://eecherrors.homestead.com/updown.jpg