Sign in to follow this  
jmig

I received my three Samsung 940 BX monitors & Triplehead

They are fantastic!! The first time I did an aileron roll, I experienced a second of vertigo. Amazing! Patterns are now a breeze, rather exercises in frustration, as I overshoot the runway. I took a P-51 Mustang on a low level in mountainous terrain. I was almost like my days in the RF-4. I could see around me and more important, see where I was going when I made a 90 through a pass or valley. When I team this up with the T-38 cockpit...Lookout!Best Christmas present I ever gave myself. Even if it was three weeks after Christmas.I want to thank the guys who helped me in my decision. Your advice and insight was very helpful. JohnJust your average 59 yr old kid.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest twabi2

Sounds great!How about some pictures or a video perhaps?Toine

>I took a P-51 Mustang on a low level in mountainous terrain. >I was almost like my days in the RF-4. I could see around me>and more important, see where I was going when I made a 90>through a pass or valley. When I team this up with the T-38>cockpit...Lookout!Aahhh.. the RF-4. Havent flown it myself, but it's such a graceful looking beauty.http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0811148/L/ (yeah, borrow your camera to a friend while you fly, and he takes this kind of dream shots just casually... gah :-))

//Tuomas

Guest Alkit

Hi JohnPictures Pictures Pictures!!I was planning to buy 740BX as the cockpit panel. But some review said it is too bright even set it to lowest brightness. Does this happen to 940BX? I have a 940BW, the only cons is low contrast.Alkit

They are bright. But, I wanted the brightness. these are for outside views. I have some smaller monitors for the instrument panel.The main reason I woent with the 940 BX was the speed. They operate at 4ms. So far, I have seen no smearing.I will see what I can do about pictures. John

John
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Yes, Tuomas, the RF-4 was a sweet bird. I couldn

John

Guest Alkit

I think anything lower than 6ms would be great nowaday. I see some monitor even mention 2ms. I wonder if someday the LCD can run as CRT speed.Your 940 should have very good contrast. The bright brightness is very suitable to external view.Mai I know what monitors do you choose for your panel? I want to hear some advice before going forward. I am considering some cheapy 15" LCD standard size (around US$120 each). This size is exactly the 787 picked.Alkit

>I think anything lower than 6ms would be great nowaday. I see>some monitor even mention 2ms. I wonder if someday the LCD can>run as CRT speed.A 100Hz screen refresh rate means a frame every 10ms, right? Most lcd's have the display refresh rate at around 60Hz, which gives you a new frame every 16ms, and even then your FS computer needs to be very fast to get that nice framerates. I think any modern TFT is fine.>Your 940 should have very good contrast. The bright brightness>is very suitable to external view.Brightness is good, but what I have noticed is that contrast ratio is important too - if you have a pitch black night scenery, how dark is it? Most monitors have some ambient light so your night looks kinda hazy gray. Part of this might be FS's fault too of course. Could be adjusted with gamma control in the display driver somewhat for the display signal's benefit, but if the monitor can not display true black, it is hard to correct. Then again, how much is much, and what is enough, is another question. But a thing to consider. Make your room totally dark and set the screens to display a solid black image full screen - can you see the monitor screens easily? Does it make a big difference if you change the black image to Flight Simulator in some remote Alaskan airport (PAWR or something) at night, on winter?(just thinking aloud here :))//Tuomas