Sign in to follow this  
jmig

Gluing Gluing Plastic panels together: Question

I have a question for those of you who have made plastic panels using paper sandwiched between two sheets of plastic. How do you glue the sheets of plastic together with out ruining the paper?I printed out a gear panel on paper, using my laser printer. I sandwiched it between two sheets of plastic and used super glue. Where ever the glue touched the paper the ink ran. It looks horrible. Is there a secret?John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

>I have a question for those of you who have made plastic>panels using paper sandwiched between two sheets of plastic. >How do you glue the sheets of plastic together with out>ruining the paper?>>I printed out a gear panel on paper, using my laser printer. >I sandwiched it between two sheets of plastic and used super>glue. Where ever the glue touched the paper the ink ran. It>looks horrible. Is there a secret?>>JohnDon't glue - just drill holes through the panel and screw it in place. The screws keep it aligned then.//Tuomas

Guest yoss

I just sprayed few layers of transparrent lack on the printed panel and results are good

Thanks guys!Another question along the same lines. I have a HP 3052 LaserJet printer. In printing I get a grey rather than a black. I have tried changing the printer settings and even on "best" I get grey. It isn't something I can live with, however. What do you do to get a true black background?

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest aem_Argentina

I use 3M75 repositionable aerosol. Is good for meRegards

Laminating the paper makes it appear a bit darker too, as the surface becomes glossy. Glossiness might be a problem for you depending on your case of course, but it has worked nicely on our Cessna sim's switch panel. Plus it's very easy to prototype stuff like this. Another idea is to use FrontDesign (schaeffer-ag.de / frontpanelexpress.com) software as your panel drawing tool, because it can print the designs in correct size. Do a paper proto with lamination first, then once you get it right (and if you feel like it..) order it in engraved aluminum :)//Tuomas

Guest spiliot_

Hi, a bit late to answer.I use silicon glue. It looks like the normal glue but it doesn't stain. Be careful before it dries it is bad for the skin.About the grey output of black in your printer. If the printers test page (not the one the windows print but the one the printer prints if you keep a specific button pressed during start-up, or using the printer's menus) is acceptable black, then it might be that you have the wrong (or not at all) color management profile for your printer (usually .icm files).