Sign in to follow this  

Active membership total and pruning.

I noticed that for a short while Avsim topped the 7,000 membership mark before the system pruned the inactive members. I am sure Avsim will top the 7,000 active membership mark sooner or later. It

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Denis, sorry for not jumping on this earlier. Some interesting info. The last version of the DCForum software did not allow for pruning of the accounts that had been inactive for a set period of time. That user list was somewhere between 13,500 and 14,000 accounts if my memory serves me well.As for this forum, I thought we had been as high as 8,000 at one time because I was holding off on pruning any accounts at first so there was a fair amount more than 3 months of inactivity being allowed at that time. The first time I pruned the user accounts, the number dropped to just above 5,000. That was likely around the middle or end of last summer. Since that first time, I've gotten progressively more consistent at running the pruning function so we would stay closer to our true amount of active accounts. Since doing this, I have observed the number of accounts gradually climbing. Like I said above, around the end of summer, we were just over 5,000 and now the number of accounts runs closer to 6,500 after I trim the user accounts. So yes, we are definitely growing, the forums definitely gets more stress, and I wouldn't be surprised if we are running 7,000 or more by the middle of the year. We'll see.

What database does DCForum use? If it is using something like SQL Server, you could setup a job to prune the accounts even if the forum software doesn't allow it. If so, I have quite a few years programm SQL Server stored procedures and would be happy to script something out.[h3]Ken Salter (aka SaltyDog)[/h3]Fly! Forum Moderator[link:members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=5E79C613-0A60-4A3B-BDC1-F9EE49F2D4FE]Join the AVSIM Online Cancer Fight!!

Just so you aren't misunderstanding Ken. The current forums do allow pruning the user accounts. I was just mentioning the old forums we were using before these and they didn/t have a function written. Unfortunately, the current version we are using uses text-delimited datafiles and this was the main reason we tried moving over to the latest version of DCForums that uses PHP/MySQL. We were hoping the latest version would scale better with the growth of the forums and the slow down in performance we had noticed. The new forums tanked under the load for some reason and we came back to these for the time being.