Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Can't get "chat screen" in Squarkbox

Sorry to post here - but can't seem to get any answers about anything in the relevant forum.I have installed Squarkbox and have successfully entered the network - i know I am connected properly because I can see myself in the Vatsim website ATC applet. I get the little green scroll across the top of my screen telling me things -- BUT I cannot bring up a chat screen to be able to input my requests/response. Hitting "enter " as advised in the tutorials does nothing - the only way I can enter a chat screen is to minimise FS2002 and use the Squarkbox main window.Any ideas?Thanks barry

Guest Tim W

Barry,You need to have a file in your modules folder called hostsb.dll. With this in there you get a menu entry on your menu bar under modules for Host SB, run this before starting the main squawkbox programme. search for a file called hostsb.zip If you can't find it, send me a mail at tim@ucsams.nl and I'll send it to you.RegardsTim

Guest Stamatis

To be able to access the Chat Box you need to first "Host" a Multiplayer session, before loading Squawkbox.Stamatis

Hi StamatisI have now solved my problem by using the HostSB.dll file as suggested by another post. It seems that my difficulty has been that , for some reason, although you are "supposed " to be able to get a chat box to come up by hitting ENTER after you have started a multiplayer session (as you have said) , this does not work for me. My problem is now solved but I can't help but wonder what was causing it in the first place.Barry

Guest Stamatis

Ahh... The mysteries of FS and Squawkbox... :-)I am happy you solved your problem, this is what counts in the end!Stamatis

Guest Tim W

BarryThere are 2 files sitting in you sb directory called FSChatScroll14AutoShow.exe and FSChatScroll14.exe if you open up one of them before you start sb you will get your chat window. One is for full screen and one for windowed mode. Can't remember which. There is a file also in there called FSChatScrollReadme.txt which will explain all.regardsTim

>Barry >>There are 2 files sitting in you sb directory called >FSChatScroll14AutoShow.exe and FSChatScroll14.exe if you >open up one of them before you start sb you will get your >chat window. One is for full screen and one for windowed >mode. Can't remember which. There is a file also in there >called FSChatScrollReadme.txt which will explain all. >>regards >Tim Sorry -- tried these -- but they still don't bring up the chat box window "inside " FS2002.I am starting to get the impression that Squarkbox (using the host provided in the download of Squarkbox - plus these EXE files) can only be used in voice mode - in text mode, it seems that in FS2002 you cannot have the cockpit and the chat box on screen at the same time. That is why this HostSB.dll was written - to allow this.Can ANYBODY provide a screen shot of the cockpit with a chat box on top -- using the host as provided with Squarkbox?Barry

Guest Stamatis

Barry,I run FS2002 in window mode (i.e. with the blue bar and the menus visible at the top), and I can bring up the Chat Box fine during my online sessions, by hitting the key.I also do not think the host dll has anything to do with the Chat Box appearance or non-appearance. I believe its purpose is to allow SB to run in a separate window. Without this dll the SB program will simply not be able to appear on screen.The Chat Box will only appear if you have hosted a Multiplayer Session, and is not directly related to SB.As to the other two utilities mentioned, their purpose is to auto-scroll the text inside the Chat Box to the bottom of the box everytime something new appears, so that you do not have to manually scroll the screen to its bottom everytime you want to read the last transmission.Stamatis

Thanks Stamatis -- my difficulty is that for some reason I cannot get the chat box to appear by hitting ENTER at all - that is why I have had to resort to using this hostsb.dll. I must be doing everything correctly - because I have flown my first online flight.Barry