Sign in to follow this  

fps problems ...yet another one...

Hello, Small question to those of you who have also had this similar problem : I recently upgraded to Windows XP due to major stabilityissues with win ME. Of course I upgraded all drivers includingthe latest from Creative for my soundblaster card. My current problem is that I'm currently getting an exciting 5fps when my sounds are on !! Without the sound I jump back to a bearable 15fps.(but, I do enjoy the sounds...)I know that this issue has already been adressed but I do not rememberthe solution to the problem and YES! I have searched the forum to find this post again but to no avail...so after an hour of searchingI turn to you, o fellow simmers to see if any one has an answerto this problem...or to direct me to the post...!Many thanks and happy landingsRegards Rhys (lszh)System specs :p4 1.7ghz (DELL system)NVIDIA tnt2 ultra (latest drivers)SB Livewin XP home (upgrade version...mmmh I know what your thinking but I was on a tight budget...)Fs2k2 pro sliders mainly at 50-80 % of maxaverage 15fps in winme

Greetings Brother, I don't know how to fix it, but I do believe that with XP, sound blaster is quite a memory hog. I noticed the same when I went from 98 to XP. I wish I had the solution as well!Michael :-cool

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest flightpro08

Very odd indeed. Is your sound card sharing the same IRQ as video card? This could be one explaination for the problem. Report back to this post when you find out, as I have a few other suggestions if they're not on the same IRQ.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 29.42 WHQL Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

Hi again, Thanks very much for your inputs !I did do a quick check and the sound card and the videocard work on different IRQ settings so this should be O.K.For what it's worth I seem to remember some sort of problemwithin SB and one of it's components or programs also being some kind of memory hog. Alas, that is all that I seem to recall.So if you have any further suggestions do not hesitate...Thanks again for both inputs they are fully appreciated !Regards . Rhys (lszh)

Guest PhilC

Don't know if this will help for sure but have you tried turning down the soundcard acceleration in DXDiag? I run my SB Live! at standard acceleration and have no problems. Actually it runs OK at Full but I get a few more fps at Standard.

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion I did bring the level down to "standard" and that does help the FPS marginally. However I believe that I did find something significant :I currently use a control panel from safeline (www.safeline.com) but it would seem as if this company have not updated their drivers toinclude win XP...as a matter of fact it would seem as if this company has not updated their site in the last year or so...Anyhow when I disable this consol my framerates take a hike towards the 15fps level with sound. Big drawback is that this consol is also my main fs2k2 control panel where i have programmed all touches and thrust levers...I-ll check to see if there is an IRQ problem as it uses a COM port.Once again thanks for the input. I'll update as soon as possible in case that this post be helpfull to others. regards Rhys (lszh)

Guest flightpro08

Ummm, odd. My suggestion was also going to be to turn down hardware acceleration in DXDiag. :-doh One thing you could check while running FS2k2 is the programs you have running the the background, and make sure nothing is taking up too much memory or CPU Usage.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 29.42 WHQL Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

Hi again, Ryan, thanks for your suggestion...I did check it out and itwould seem as if my flight consol from safeline is eating up allthe cpu usage. That in conjuction with the sounds is a bit too much for my cpu to handle. I have no idea what to try next...I will see if safeline have any ideas (you never know they might just answer...I suspect however that they have gone into recievership).Anyhow thanks for your input and if you have any more ideas...do not hesitate !If anyone out there also uses a Jet console from Safeline could you please tell me if you are experiencing similar problems...Best regards to all . Happy landings. Rhys (lszh)System specs :P4 1.7Ghz512mb rdramsb live!2 monitors (nvidia Geforce2 ultra AGP /geforce MX400 PCI)Safeline Jet console Aerosoft australia mcp