Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

SpeechBuddy 2 Public Beta

Hi All,Some exciting news for people currently using or wanting to use voice recognition software for flight simming is here. The original developer has notified me that SpeechBuddy 2 is now ready for public beta and there are some cool new features. For those of you not familiar with SpeechBuddy (available in the wonderful AVSIM library) it is a Speech-to-text program that will allow you to "speak" commands to FS2002 allowing you to perform just about any function that is available through a key command or sequence of key commands. A virtual co-pilot if you will.SpeechBuddy 2 has been re-written from scratch using XML and support for SAPI 5 (The latest Speech engine from Microsoft). The big difference between this and the old version is that the rigid and inflexible .ini configuration file has been done away with. You can now use XML to create a grammar file that is compiled for direct interaction with SAPI 5. The Microsoft SAPI 5 grammar compiler and tester is included with the beta distribution. The benefit of XML programming is the ability to use a very powerful scripting language to define the interaction of speech with the FS2002. This allows you to add IF-THEN-ELSE logic when responding to a recognized phrase. But the coolest feature added I think is it will allow you to play audio files based on your speech input. You can even interact with the computer/user using text-to-speech synthesis. Talk about endless possibilities like having a "co-pilot" respond with "gear up" after you tell him to raise the landing gear!The beta includes all the basics for supporting FS2002. There is a grammarfile and a script file. In most cases, a simple copy-and-paste can be done toadd support for additional phrases and responses or if you have modified your original FS2002.ini file that came with the original SpeechBuddy. Also, If you have the updated FS2002atc.ini that I sent out a while back, if you could email it to me, I will begin to integrate it into SpeechBuddy 2. (I am traveling right now and don't have access to my home computer)The developer has asked me to help provide some beta-testers since he mostly developed this for x-plane and I made the original config file for FS2002. I am not the developer of the software, however, I will provide as much help as I can. This software will require WinME or later and SAPI 5. Sorry, no support for Win98 is planned.If you are interested in helping beta-test, email me at speechbuddy@hotmail.com and I will send you the file. -------------Michael

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Michael, Billy and everyone. I am glad to hear that SpeechBuddy is being updated. I find it very useful and helpful . I use it with a lot of other utilities and I am somewhat reluctant to go to another Speech engine and limit it to FS2K2 only since I use it a lot with FlyII. I would be glad to help, to test the new version, I have find a way to back up my old engine, so that I can go back to it if I need to. I am not sure if I can easily go back, by a normal Uninstall. Michael, I also sent you the ATC, check your Email. Thanks everyone for your effort, this is a great utility. TV