Sign in to follow this  

KLAX ILS put me in the dirt!

I was making an ILS approach to KLAX 25R in near zero visibility in a 737 and just before touchdown the fog broke and I saw brown ground instead of asphalt. I still landed safely but a hundred yards or so short of the runway. Is that common? I nailed the glideslope and approach speed so I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Some of the fs ils's are buggy-but..The minimums for this approach appear to be 200 ft. and 1/2 mile visibility-therefore if you tried to land at less than this (near zero visibility wouldn't make it) this would be the likely outcome as it is for a number of flyers every year who also try to go below published minimums.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Interesting! Glad I was pushing the envelope in a sim instead of the real world. So I need to take more care in low visibility to try and determine if I am beyond the limits for a safe ILS landing.Thank you for the info

Hey, I think KLAX ILS is indeed misplaced... I had the same problem on a 100% visibility day. It landed me on the taxiway... I think it's aligned with the taxiway instead of the runway 25R. Maybe it can be changed in AFCAD.

BTW, i was playing around with AFCAD and this is what i found out, RWY 25R ILS is indeed in frequency 111,10 but there's seems tom be a problem with its heaading. While in the FS2002 flight planner it indicates 24R at heading 249 in AFCAD it shows heading 262. Maybe that's the reason we're landing away from the 25R runway?