Sign in to follow this  

Video Card Recommendation... Best Bang for the $

Guest byoung

I have a AMD XP 2200 with 512 MB memory (768 originally, but waiting for replacement...) Motherboard is Biostar M7VIPGEForce4 Ti 4200, 4400, Or 4600??Or which other ones should I consider??Barry

Guest flightpro08

Nice system. :-) Get either the 4200 or the 4400. Both can clock around the 4600 speeds. (The 4200 might need some really good cooling to get that high.) Speed for free. :-) Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 29.42 WHQL Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

I am quite happy with my Gainward GF4 Ti4200 128mb Gold Sample. Got it from www.newegg.com for about $175 IIRC. It's on the high end pricewise for a 4200, but it has multimon support (most do), TV in/out, S-video in/out, component in as well as a factory overclocking utility and a good heatsink/fan. The Gold Sample means the card was tested to a rigorous standard and is GAURANTEED to overclock. Mine benchmarks just under the Ti4400s with the Gainward recommended overclocking, but I am sure it could do better with some tweaking. Reason is, why? You're not going to be able to tell a difference in games.I'd recommend staying away from the 64mb version of the Gainward Gold Sample card. They benchmark faster than the 128 version because they use faster RAM, but mine had some hardware problem that caused XP to blue screen and leave colored lines down the screen. Newegg issued an RMA and I returned it no problem, and stepped up to the 128mb version.