Sign in to follow this  
Guest BC_KBOS

One solution for blurred textures/crashing-pda users

I feel I have gotten a big solution to my instability of fs (never loading) and still getting blurry textures despite a 128 meg video card.Activesync!Yes-I have a pda-and generally I leave it connected to the computer. Microsoft in its' wisdom makes active sync always lurk in the background-it seems to be a system resources/memory hog!I found a freeware utility which disable/enables it (Microsoft should simply have this as part of activesync).Anyway-so far by disabling activesync my fs loads every time and no blurred textures-turn active sync on-and bingo!-textures blurr and trying to reload another scenery area causes fs to never get loaded.If you have similar troubles give this angle a try-the free utility is available here:http://www.micrologics.co.uk/library/ast/The catch 22 for me-I am using the anywhere map (gps moving map software on a pda) with fs-I don't want to give that up. However, it seems to appear that disabling activesync still allows the pda to be connected through the serial port...http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Howdy Geof!I thought that was a well known bug with A-Sync.I found that very often I couldn't get the Anywhere Map to acquire a GPS signal anytime A-Sync was enabled. I have a serial connection to the com port that I hook the ipaq to when flying. As far as the Ipaq is concerned, the data coming in is from a GPS and it works fine. In the end, unless you are syncing the PDA with the PC, there is no need to have A-Sync loaded, in fact, it caused problems for me with the map program.It's interesting that disabling A-Sync improved your graphics. I know one thing, A-Sync nabs a com port and does not let go, even if you ctl alt del to kill the app, it still hangs on to the port (port in use by "unknown app"). The utility you mention is pretty handy, but still requires a reboot to free up the port.Oh, and in case any of you out there are not yet aware how considerate Active Sync is, every time you restart A-Sync, it kindly puts a startup line into the reg so it automatically starts everytime time you boot. Which means you have to run the "stop" utility each time and reboot.By the way, for the truly geekish, the normal place M$ places run commands is:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunFor some reason, Active Sync places its run command here:HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunOf course, you can always uncheck the startup option in MSConfig, but if you start A-Sync again, it will place another start command in the run section. The disabled line will be in the -run section.Rgrds,BC