Sign in to follow this  

VOLMET?

Flying yesterday from Rome to Dublin. Lovely day, got some good screen shots over the Alps. About an hour out from Dublin I started to prepare for the approach, got the charts out, made a note of the frequencies, headings and heights and tuned the ATIS. I was well established on the descent before the ATIS was audible at 70 miles out. In the real world ATIS is normally available about 150 miles out.Which got me thinking that it would be nice to have VOLMET. For those not familiar with VOLMET it is a continuose VHF or HF weather broadcast from an ATC center with 30 min updates of the W/X at airports in the ATC centers geographic area. This is useful in that it is possible to have a good idea of what approach and runway to expect and also to plan diversions and enroute emergencies.I know nothing about programming but I would have thought that it would be possible to have this facillity in FS2002 as most flight planners, FSMeteo and Radar Contact pull the weather together for flight planning and ATC use.If anyone is interested in trying to program something like this, I have all the frequencies and the stations available from them for Europe and Scandinavia.Maybe we could get the H.F. to work and get Shannon Volmet, handy after a long trans Atlantic night flight. It would also mean that you wouldn't need to leave the flight deck,pop up another window or pause the flight to find out what the W/X was like.Just a thought.

YES!! This is an excellent idea I think! I really hope Microsoft considers adding HF ability to the ATC engine in FS2004! I have a HF receiver sitting on my desk and I can pick up many volmet stations like Honolulu, New York, Gander, Sydney, Bangkok, and Tokyo. At this moment I am listening to San Francisco ARINC on 5547 and they just told some plane to contact Honolulu Center ... wish we could do this in Fs2002 that would be awesome!BTW if anyone wants to try to get something like this in Fs2002 and needs information here is a volmet broadcast schedule:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d9fe84c02676bd3.gif

well,with AFCAD you could add an AWOS frequency to an airport and you then could pick up this AWOS frequncy up in the air and regard it as a VOLMET.it's not 100% realistic,but it comes close I guess