Sign in to follow this  

Windows XP SP1 Java

I just re-formatted my hd due to problems with my GF4 Ti4200. It works very nicely now! I've been holding off on the SP due to the AA issues, but I need to get the Java emulator (?) without downloading the SP. Is this possible? Is it possible to send the file?Thanks a lotGreg_________________________ "Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"-Leonardo Da Vinci

Guest jase439

The AA issues have been fixed with nVidia's 40.72 drivers.

Really? :-) Good, then I might upgrade to SP1. Thanks a lot Jase.Greg_________________________ "Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"-Leonardo Da Vinci

Everyone's system is different, but to let you know, I uninstalled SP1 within a day after I got it. It dropped my performance in FS2002 back to an FS2000 level, with pauses as long as 7 seconds at a time. In full screen mode, hitting ALT no longer brought up the menu bar, and there were numerous other issues as well. As I said, everyone's system is different, so yours might work fine, but make sure you do the presribed backups on the install just in case. For JAVA, you can still get it separately. Follow this:http://makeashorterlink.com . You'll find it there.Glenn

Guest jase439

>In full screen mode, >hitting ALT no longer brought up the menu bar, and there >were numerous other issues as well. These issues have all been addressed in the latest driver from nVidia. Fortunately, SP1 has a rollback option. The good news is that when you do roll back, you don't lose your Java capability - so even if you try it and decide you don't like SP1, you can still go back to good ole XP out the box with the added bonus of the Java VM.J

You could just go to www.google.com and type +"java virtual machine" +download and follow the link that it gives you. That's what I did. It took me directly to Sun's download page for Java VM. Works like a charm.http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.htmlJay

"These issues have all been addressed in the latest driver from nVidia."Really? That puts a whole new slant on things! I'd much rather have it installed (SP1) than not, given what it does/is designed to do. Have you noticed if the pauses and overall speed is back up to where it was before the install with the new nVidia drivers?Thanks!Glenn

Uhh, could I ask where you found the drivers you mentioned? I just went to nVidia's site and then to the drivers section. The last driver set for XP was listed as follows:Windows XP/2000 Version: 30.82File Size: 10.1 MBRelease Date: August 7, 2002WHQL Certified Is there another source with drivers updated since SP1 was released?Thanks! :-)Glenn

Guest DNelson

When you get to the second of the three boxes on the driver selection page, choose "Detonator 40" instead of "Geforce and TNT".Dan

What is SPI? Do I need it? Plus, what are the AA issues? I ask because I've just installed Geforce 4600 and with everything maxed out the graphics are plain lousy. Shimmering scenery, jagged aircraft wings. I also have the ALT key problem. My drivers are 30.82. Can anyone recommend an optimum Display setup for 4600?