Sign in to follow this  

Which OS ?

Guest rogue1

Sorry to disagree Mike, but the computer in my house running WinXP Home does not play nicely with the mixed bag of machines also here. I've got WinXP Pro running on mine machine (most of the time); a Win98SE box on the network and XP Home. The Home box just doesn't like sharing with the others. Maybe your experience is different due to the .NET Server??? Not sure how you are using that in your environment, so can't say for sure.You are right about the domain issues. But I don't think anyone in his right mind would attempt to get FS2K to run under Linux. But back to the original question. Of all the MS operating systems, I've found XP to be the most stable and easiest to use. Granted If you look at my XP system you won't be able to tell immediately that it is XP as I use the classic options. No fancy shell stuff and use the normal control panel.So whether you choose Home or Pro, I'd say for the money XP is the way to go. Especially if you have a mixed bag of old and new software.Jim

Ok Guys,I finished installing the XP Professional, very easy and friendy comparing to my old win98se. The ADSL setup was so easy, I just plugged the cable and that's all...internet working...Now I'll install FS2002 and test my video card GF4Ti4200 128mb...I hope evryhting goes ok...at least I'm pretty sure it will be better than my PIII700 with Gforce2mx 32mb.Ah, I'm using an additional network adapter for connect to my win98 computer and no problem....win XP pro is great here...thanks,Ulisses

Guest rogue1

Glad to hear it is going smoothly. Jim

Hmmm, Methinks you have a problem with your setup. I just set up a small not-for-profit company here in Wahington D.C. with 10 Windows Home computers in two offices (they bought em before I showed up). I set 'em up with a wi-fi network to minimize wiring and them set em up with Linksys VPN routers so that their two offices can talk to each other. IP addressing is all RFC 1918 address space with a /24 subnet mask but two different networks for each building.There is one box running WinXP Home that is set up with a large HD and the directories are set up per employee and each one is password protected and shared. There are no servers per se, and no domain resources to access. No problems sharing printers, Hard Drives, Folders, etc on any of the 10 XP Home machines.The point here is that WinXP Home shares easily, no better, no worse than XP Pro because there is no difference in that area of the program.In any respects, I've taken this way off topic and my apologies to the Forum Admin, I'll shut up now.Regards,Mike T.

XP Pro with the 40.72 drivers plus the little 'Fix' program.Works well for me.