Sign in to follow this  
dmaher

Mixture problems with the C421

The Cessna 421 is my favorite twin addon to date but there is one thing that bugs me about it. I now have a complete twin throttle quadrant (thanks to E-bay and the person who ripped it out of a Baron!) and lean the engines as needed (even though the real bird wouldn't require this quite as much because it is turbocharged). This has always worked out fine when flying at altitudes in the teens but I tried to fly at a more realistic altitude (Fl24) and found it was nearly impossible to keep the engines going. Moving the levers less than 1/8" made the mix too rich, back the other way - too lean. Has anyone found a way to correct this in the model? ThanksDavid

The only thing I can think of is that your aircraft realism settings in FS might not be maxed...-John

Guest PhilipManwaring

I've flown the 421 to FL240 and had no trouble. You need to lean mixture to keep EFT at the correct level (don't recall right now but it's in the sample flight). Make sure "automixture" is off, and try using keyboard shortcuts for mixture adjustments, just in case it's a calibration issue with your controller.

Hey David, ...Your quadrant is from a real Baron? Very cool! Have you used FSUIPC to look at the mixture lever signals? I have a hunch the problem might be with your quadrant. FSUIPC will allow you to tune the throw of the levers if you haven't done so already.CheersDannyCYVR