Sign in to follow this  

HELP setting up network (O/T)

Hi all. I am real new to computers and I don't know a thing about networks. I am trying to network two computers one win2000 the other win98. I have installed an adaptor in each PC and linked them to a router. Now I don't know ware to go! How do I set up the network so I can share a broadband internet connection, files and hardware? I have read windows help and the guides here but I still don't know what to do! Could anyone walk through with me how to share files/hardware please? Or have I missed a guide on this site? Thanks Ric

It's probably beyond the scope of this forum to open up such a discussion. I think you'd have better luck in the hardware forum, or better yet in on one of the networking usenet groups. Walking you through all the steps would be a project...I support networks for a living, and used to dread walking techs through the steps who were even more familiar with the process than you are. The short answer--the hookups are the easy part, but configuring 2000 and 98 properly is where you'll have to dig in and learn.My documentation on setting up network architecture is well over 200 pages--and unfortunately is copyrighted by my company as intellectual property, so I can't release it. But scan the groups....you'll find information much better than I can put out for all levels of knowledge....-John

By "router" I'm assuming you mean a simple hub or switch. Well, you could assign each computer a static IP address so that they could simply talk to each other through the "router" you said you connected them up to, but that won't let you share broadband. Your ISP expects you to hang one and only one computer off your cable modem, but there is a workaround!What you want is a combination Firewall/Router that will allow you to share your broadband connection. Go to your local computer store and check out DLink, Linksys, or Netgear offerings. They're usually called something very explicit like "Cable/DSL Broadband router" - you want one with four Ethernet ports on the back. Should be well under $150 these days.The vendor's documentation will explain all the details of setting it up.