Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomyeah

What are we reviewing today?

Guest enave

I would just like to point out something that I see all the time, and I want to say up front that I'm not slamming anyone, I actually find this pretty amusing, but it is nonetheless a problem that I want to bring to someone's attention.Take a look at this review, and pretend that you have no idea what an IR motion Sensor is. Pretend that you've never heard of one.http://www.avsim.com/pages/1004/trackir/trackir.htmHow far into that review do you have to read before you can possibly figure out what it is that you are reading about, and what it's used for?Like I said, I've seen many examples of this and I'm not slamming anyone. I just happened to find this particularly good example just now and I wanted to point it out. I followed a link to the review, and I wanted to quickly scan the review to see if it is a review of something I might be interested in. But I never could figure that out, because the review doesn't really say.The first paragraph tells me that flight simming is realistic. Ok, thanks.The second paragraph tells me that the Track IR3 is a piece of hardware. That's good. It tells me that it's been around for a while. I don't really care. It tells me that its development has gone through many overhauls. Great, glad to hear it.The third paragraph tells me that it comes in two variants. What exactly comes in two variants? I have no idea.Then we talk about installation. Installation of what? Beats me. I am really, sincerely happy for the reviewer. He tells me that UPS did a good job of delivering this whatever it is. But maybe, if it's not too much trouble, he could tell me what the heck it is.Anyway, if you continue to read this mystery review, you will eventually come to this hidden treasure of information:"The TrackIR3 works by an infra-red (IR) camera to track your head movements. You reflect IR light back to the TrackIR3, which sends instructions to your computer to move your game view or mouse cursor. That's the principle in layman's terms"There are 831 words in this review prior to this. Can someone please, for the love of god, tell me why that wasn't the very first thing said??Anyway, this is just something for future reviewers to keep in mind.

Guest Aidi

Your points are valid, and i am sure will be taken on board by members of the review team who read this.Perhaps I was taking for granted that a hardware item such as TrackIR is something that Flight Simmers would have prior knowledge of, and writing the review would highlight in depth what its all about.Thanks for your constructive comments. Unless we get comments back from the likes of you, we will not be able to progress, and better the way reviews are written and presented.RgdsAidihttp://www.avsim.com/pages/0100/avsim_sig.jpg

Guest enave

Thanks for taking it the right way. You avsim guys are very professional.And I'm glad that I now know what TrackIR is. It's a very cool product that I would never have heard of if not for avsim.

Guest tomyeah

i just had the same problem just to find out what the heck trackir is. all the homepages about it are so bad, you see this alien device and ask yourself what it is. i wonder why they make it such a mystery, maybe because its just a very simple piece of hardware that should look futuristic and high-tech. worst of all sites was this http://www.trackir.de , you have this little icons to click and they tell you nothing, some flashy graphics fly around but no information.maybe its all just marketing strategy but for my taste it just scares off potential customers, especially if i see the high price.most freaky about trackit is that you have to wear a cap when gaming. these days we have the technology to have realtime face recognition in small webcams even make a simple 3 point triangulation by eye midpoints and the mouth.regards, tom.