Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Voodoo 3 drivers & FS98

Hi all,I'm trying to update a friends PC - have just loaded the latest drivers for the Voodoo 3 2000 AGP graphics card from http://www.guru3d.com/files/ (driver name: Voodoo 3 2000 Windows 95/98/ME v 1.07) but now FS98 locks up and only a reset will reboot the PC.He is running Win98 SE, FS98, Voodoo 3 2000 AGP, 64mb RAMWhat is the best driver to use for this setup? It was working fine with the driver that came with the original CD for the card, but not with the updated driver?Many thanks,Peter BorcherdsBAVirtual Captain (BAW222)

Try looking at http://www.voodoofiles.com/ for drivers. I have a Voodoo 3 3000 that I used CA'sVoodoo3Win9x-1.08.00-XP.exe or x3dfx_V5_Win9X_1.08.04.zip.You need at least the 1.08 and it has been awhile so they may have more drivers since. Voodoo 4 & 5 drivers will work on the Voodoo 3.

The short answer on the Voodoo...FS98 and FS2000 seemed to prefer the earlier drivers. FS2002 preferred the newer drivers. When I installed FS2002, the Voodoo would lock up, so I took the advice of the docs and upgraded to the latest driver. But that had consequences for FS98 and FS2000. For kicks, I went to an older driver, and FS98/2000 ran again, and FS2002 choked... So my suggestion--stick with the earlier driver sets....Also, like any other card, it's very important to clean the system of registry entries and old driver dll's prior to driver changes. I've been running with a Ge2 card for many months..., so I can't recall which Voodoo drivers worked best, but I believe it would be anything from the initial driver out to the third or fourth update...anything below 1.03 should be alright... For FS2002, anything above 1.03 should work well.-John

Thanks guys!I think the best option for now will be to revert back to the previous driver, as this guy only uses FS98, no other games, doesn't really need the latest drivers...Much appreciated!Peter BorcherdsBAVirtual Captain (BAW222)

Hi John,I ran the mentioned drivers on a K6-2 550MHz system with FS98/2000/2002 on it without problems. My son now has that computer, heh, heh, since I built my present Athlon XP 1.8GHz.

I suspect some of the issues were cpu specific. 1.4 or greater would always lock up FS2000 after about 10-20 seconds (FS98 was long gone by that time, so I never tested them that much). FS2002 ran flawlessly with the 1.4 or greater drivers... But I had a P3/800, and a BX MB... I switched back & forth with the drivers quite a bit as I was moving some of my favorite A/C from FS2000 to FS2002.... FS2002 showed the same symptoms with the 1.3 and earlier drivers. Either way, the Voodoo card is long gone. I'm not going to worry about it. Could have even been a card issue....

>Thanks guys! >>I think the best option for now will be to revert back to >the previous driver, as this guy only uses FS98, no other >games, doesn't really need the latest drivers... >>Much appreciated! >>Peter Borcherds >BAVirtual Captain (BAW222)Might seem a bit dumb, But did you reinstall DirectX after installing the drivers, My last system was a Celeron 533 with 128mb ram Voodoo 3 2000 pciit ran with the last released driver from 3dfx perfectly after reinstall of DirectX, If M/b has a Via Chip you might consider updating to newer 4-in-1 drivers from Via.Michael