Sign in to follow this  

Flight Plan Fix points. How would navigate without GPS

Hi AllIf you dont have gps how would you navigate to a fix point on a flight plan. If weather conditions were less than min VFR, would you only be able to depend ATC (if IFR file) to determine if you were on course? RegardsBobG

Hi UweWell, I have been admiring FSNavigator and was creating a flight plan.Although I had requested VOR to VOR nav it managed to put in a fix point in the flight plan. Fine and dandy if using a GPS. Of course a lot of addon stuff will fly it for you internally though did not find that very realistic so the question arose about the fix point. I guess if I had an intertial nav system I would be OK.ThanksBobG

Bob,Go read up on good old fashioned radio navigation. ;) :D ;) Most of the procedures out there in the real world require nothing more than a Cessna with a VOR course deviation indicator and a DME unit. Remember the Boeing 727 - no GPS, no FMC, no inertial nav - nada! Just VOR radials and DME.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Pilotage and Dead reckoning? LOL!!This does work in FS with weather, as I have recreated some of my solo cross country flights. Seems MS did put many (all? most? some?) of the ground references shown on sectionals. I found all the ground references that I used in the real flight. I downloaded real weather, got out my E6B, did my wind correction and ground speed problems and VIOLA! I arrived at the points just about perfectly!!The same procedure would apply to fixes if you have coordinates, and can figure your distances.It was great fun to do this...It added a great new dimension to FS!!try it out!Scott