Sign in to follow this  

FSMETEO - FS Stutters during updating

Hi all you FSMeteo aficionados....I haven't use FSMeteo for a while but decided to update it recently following an e-mail from Marc.There has been a lot of enthusiasm lately for ActiveSky 2002 so decided to compare the two.Both programs seem to work fine but I have noted a tendency for FS2002 to stutter during weather updates both while on-line and, in the case of FSMeteo, off-line as well.Is this par for the course? If so, how do the rest of you get round it? The only measure I can think of is to lenthen the time between updating - does not stop the stutters but at least they happen less frequently.Mike :-wave

Guest flightpro08

Nope, can't say I've had that problem. I've had FSMETEO for about a year, and have gone through three different versions of it (5.0, 5.1, and 5.2) and used it on two different systems without any problems. What type of internet connection do you have? I'm fortunite enough to have a cable connection, so speed it not a concern, but with a dial-up connection, I could see something liek you're experiencing happening. A couple of things you could do are install the lastest version of FSUIPC (can be found at http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html). If that doesn't work, then I'd recommend e-mailing the creator of FSMETEO (his e-mail is available on www.fsmeteo.com)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com|Taxiwaysigns.com] Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my New American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Hi Ryan,Yes, mine is a dial-up connection so perhaps I should be hoping for feedback from those like myself still limping along with old comms technology :(The problem occurs with ActiveSky 2002 as well so it may well be that the dial-up connection is responsible.I have version 2.92 of FSUIPC installed.Anyone else any thoughts?Mike :-waveMy System Spec:Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBoIntel Pentium 4 2.2A512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR Ram3D Blaster4 Ti4400 (Creative's 30.82 driver variants tweaked with RivaTuner LOD -0.1 and Anisotropy forced level 8)SB Audigy Player (Drivers version 5.12.01.0253 Signed)Deskstar 120GXP UDMA100 HDs x 2 (60 and 40 Gig)CH Products USB Yoke, Pedals and FighterstickPlantronics Headset and Mike comboPlexWriter 40/12/40APioneer DVD-106SWindows XP Home Edition (SP1)DirectX 8.1

Guest emergency_pants

Do you stay online while you fly or do you reconnect when the weather updates? That would stall your system a little when the modem switches on. But you also say that it happens offline too?I'm guessing that they're pretty small stutters... perhaps it's your system taking away the old clouds & winds and loading a new set! Sometimes my system does this when a new set of weather effects kick-in. Especially if it a heavier change of conditions. There would a be a few reasons... the graphics card redrawing clouds and other visuals, the processor recalculating winds and the hard drive reading all the new details, textures, etc.I also find that if there is some haze, it tends not to slow up so much because the draw distance is less.In general though, I don't find any of my stuuttuutersssrs intrusive. And on the whole, I tend not to even see any... or maybe I just don't notice them.Ch-ch-ch-cheereerss,Simon.:)

Hi Simon,Thanks for your input.The 'stutters' are more like brief pauses in the otherwise fluid flow of the sim. Sometimes these pauses can continue regularly for several seconds before stopping. I do find this significant enough as to be distracting and a bit of a nuisance if the update coincides with final approach and landing. No problems whatsoever when neither ActiveSky or FSMeteo is in use - sim performs pretty much flawlessly.I wonder if I could add a supplemental question? Should I disable Norton Antivirus and Norton Firewall while connected to the internet via FSMeteo or ActiveSky? I installed Norton Personal Firewall recently and both programs have 'Permit All' permissions under Internet Access.Mike :-wave

Guest gasebah

I had Norton Anti virus and the Agnitum Firewall running in the background all the time, with no stutters. I suppose the stutters come from the larger bmps Fs2002 has to load for the Active Sky clouds. Access to the HD is considerably longer than with the default clouds. I made the same experience but I can live with it as the clouds look so much better.Alex

That's funny, I've had the exact opposite experience. ActiveSky stutters like crazy when it updates and it seems to update when It feels like not at the specified intervals I have chosen. FS Meteo on the other hand works like a charm.