Sign in to follow this  

A comment on cause and effect

I responded recently to Steve Cannell, a bit sharply, to his concern that a trend existed in which scenery designers were making extraordinarily complicated scenery (using the new Thunder Bay as an example) and he was wishing he could still download simpler airport addons. My response was sharp, because there are quite a few sceneries added to the library daily, and the real problem in my mind was that he wasn't recognizing those efforts. Today's headline about Thunder Bay made me think. Perhaps the media is contributing to Steve's overlooking freeware of simpler nature. Perhaps what's changed is that the notice of today is pretty much only given to the extraordinary work. Many folks have mentioned over time that they wish for more recognition. The existance of freeware as magnificent as TB naturally does drive the press to gravitate to the larger packages. The difference being that there is press covereage of ANY freeware. Didn't used to happen. If a designer thirsts for recognition, and the press chooses to provide banner recognition for magnificent freeware and little recognition for others, that would motivate that person to take on a project that is magnificent in scope.The downside is that magnificent takes time. The Ontario work took 11 months. If the life cycle of a sim version is only 24 months, won't it feel a bit odd to work for nearly half the sim versions life on a single upload? Of course, I'm doing that too....but I guess its a matter of when we offer our private work to others. My version of my airports is different from the uploads because I never stop adding stuff, and now that we can construct frame rate friendly photo terrain, I constantly expand my coverage around my airports cuz I enjoy it. And since its for myself, I make it only as perfect as I feel like...if it doesn't blend and I don't care....then I spend my time flying rather than tweaking. Ok, just musing....and I think the Thunder Bay work is AMAZING....and flying over TB with Geof A's Deb is a double dip in AWESOME.Thanks all for listening, and sorry to Steve Cannell for being a bit quick with criticism...I think you are pointing out a shift in the sense of freeware.Bob Bernstein

While I understand your reasoning, I would point out that TB seems to be essentially a labor of love: those guys wanted to build the best possible scenery of an area that they love. They did it as soon as it became technically possible. And they offered to share their work so that we could share their love.It don't think there is any strategy here, commercial or otherwise. And I don't see that there should be any either, aside from doing things that feel good and sharing them.It's an important aspect of this hobby and of life in general (ideally).

its labor of love all around, including the activity of the press covereage.no wrongdoing suggested, just aknowledgement that I think I agree with Steve's notice that the freeware issues are changing.B

Bob,When we talk about scenery that makes us go WOW, yours is most definately included!Thanks for your excellent work.Howard

thank you for your complement. Much appreciated.B