Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Airports 2002 Volume 1 (my review)

Hello everyone I got my copy of Airports 2002 Volume 1 today and decided I would give a little report for all of those who want to know the pros and cons of this new product.the box: The box is in the new style boxes PC products have been coming in.The package is simple and contains a the CD and manual.The manual contains the usual Wilco format for those who have bought the airports series before you will know what Iam talking about .The install the install is very simple to follow and will give you the choice of what airports and to install as well the 737 and extra AFCADS for AI.Everything installs without a problem. Lets go to FS2002 and see what we have :D The airports. Alot of improvments have been made but also some downgrades that were very disappointing.The FPS at MUCH better than previous releases and the textures are really something else.Believe it or not it is about right there with simflyers.My settings are all maxed at 1152x864.The only settings that are not maxed are clouds (65) AI(65)visablilty (70). I had no problems making a nice appoarch in the PSS A320 of course there was hardly any AI traffic so Iam sure that will change .Wilco somewhat took the Simflyers appoarch and make buildings pop into view within a very close range of the aiport. The aiports look great and perform well but now the downfall comes.The airports look unfinshed.Many important buildings are missing from each airport.KATL cargo,delta headquartes and old Eastern hanger are not there.This seems to be the case with every airport.Many important buildings are missing espically all the cargo areas for the life of me I can not figure out why .The "important" taxi signs are there but most are missing.Espically at KATL which I know very well.The Delta hanger is all facing in the wrong direction too :(.Iam really hoping that is something wilco will fix in a patch espically the missing delta headquarters.This is not something that should be missing in a payware product.The 737 At first glance iam not impressed with it but then again this is about aiports not planes.The idea of working in the VC is very nice.It has some problems like not every switch works some are static but once again not a big deal because this to me is more less a demo of what is coming with A320.I do think the graphics for the VC will have to much more crisp in order for this concept to work.I found myself doing a super zoom to read the over head.The rest of the gauges are very crisp.The sounds are not half bad either.FPS are decent and the flight dynamics seem ok to me but then again I do not fly a 737 so it's hard to comment.The visual model seem to be from AP v3 ported to gmax so it's nothing speical and I will leave it at that.I have not had a chance to play with the FMS or walk through the virtual cabin so I can not comment on that.FSNAT. It's interesting :D I have not play with it too much so I do not want to really say anything just yetConclusion Airports 2002 seem to have alittle something forever one.I like the appoarch they took with this and the new concepts they are bring to field.I think that if the cargo terminals and more taxi signs where in place this would be a superior product but with this missing buildings and taxi signs it's hard to say how to judge this product.Do not get me wrong the airports are in stunning detail and I really like what iam seeing.For the first time with a Wilco product since Airport2000 V3 I can do a nice take off and apporach.It will take some getting used to because Simflyers really shines in the area of building placement and taxi signs.To me these are very important elements of airport design now.Wilco really did out do themselves with this one believe it or not.Give it a shot I do not think you will be disappointed.The FPS are good and even though somethings are missing the most important thing is being able to have the product perform well.The product performance well with ULTRA detail and that says alot even though somethings are missing.Don't keep this product out of your hard drive because of missing elements .I do highly recommend it.I also would like to keep in mind do not judge the product based on what I have said.Iam just giving a idea of what to expect. Thanks for reading and get Airports 2002 V1 :) Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Guest jase439

This review reads like an AVSIM review, here's what you wrote:...downgrades that were very disappointing...The airports look unfinshed...Many important buildings are missing...The "important" taxi signs are there but most are missing...is all facing in the wrong direction...espically the missing delta headquarters...At first glance iam not impressed with it...not every switch works...this to me is more less a demo ...VC will have to much more crisp in order for this concept to work...The visual model seem to be from AP v3 ported to gmax so it's nothing speical...It will take some getting used to because Simflyers really shines in the area of building placement and taxi signs...To me these are very important elements of airport design Then you summarize with:...airports are in stunning detail ...Wilco really did out do themselves with this one ...I do not think you will be disappointedAnd this one gets me:...do not judge the product based on what I have said. (why then are you writing a review???)I think the only consistent thing you've mentioned here is good frame rates.-=-=-No offence, but...keep the day job :)J

Here is the advertisement from their site. The item with the * is the one of interest So what does that mean exactly. I guess one could say that True to life buildings mean they look like real buildings. I think that most would agree that if I said I have built a model of my house and it looks just like the real one I could say it is trueto life. Life meaning the original, or the one the model was derived from. So, not sure how they can get away with it. A attorney could say "Is there anything in the advertisement that says the airports are modeled from the real thing" He would be right though. Not that one would need to divert to legalities its just that there are certain things we automatically expect when one says these are the airports we have modeled. So I would think that the community would at least be given a reasonable explanation, and at the very least, disregarding what may be missing, but why buildings that are there dont even face in the proper direction. I just sometimes feel like I am being taken advantage of, or there is intention of wording something in such a way that there is a common assumption but the assumption is wrong once you unveil the product. I dont know. Again I guess it's a companys willingness to talk to the public. An open forum of questions. The key is to ask the right questions. Airport Features : * True-to-life buildings Textured static aircraft Docking system Ground markings more realistic than ever10 New fully interactive adventures 7 highly-realistic adventures linking up the various airports, including real procedures BONUS for Airport 2000 Volume 1 users : 3 new adventures linking up airports from Volume 1 to Volume 2

Please forgive me. That feature list I quoted was from the 2000 aiport series. Below is the feature list for the 2002 vol1Each airport will depict more aircraft liveries, airport buildings, comment:(not sure what more airport buildings mean. I dont own the 2000 series but I would assume (theres that word again) that they are comparing the number of buildings to another product. I would assume they are comaring it to one of their products :-) )gates, roads, trees, street signs and other objects in greater detail than in any previous edition, with reproductions based on Wilco's exclusive behind-the-scenes visits. There are also more ground vehicles than in previous editions, including catering, fuel, fire, baggage and maintenance vehicles as well as passenger buses.BobG

I think it was a fine, honest review. Jase, I think you could have just kept your mouth shut and get back to your day job!

I have to say richard did a nice job with the review ;)thanks for sharing your views on this add on.

Thanks for taking your time to give us some insight on this product. Ignore negative responses, most of us appreciate your insights!How are framerates when compared to the SimFlyer's version?Thanks,Rob

Guest sfgiants

Lucky you!Did you buy it at a store or have it mailed to you?tim

Rob I'll own Airport 2002 since monday and maybe you have read and seen :-) my first impressions in the screenshot forum...My impression regarding the sceneries it's great (If you take into account 6 euro per scenery) with exception of LFPG...FPS can be compared with Simflyers and GAP...Further see the links from the screenshot forum, only to share with you all.http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47Success and have fun :-)Andr

André

Believe me Andre', I was all over those screen shots the first day you posted them. Thanks for the hard work and insight. It seems that Avsim.com and Flightsim.com are dragging their feet when it comes to releasing a review.

Thanks for everyones kind words.I have somethings I would like to add to what I have already said .Now that I have dug in alittle deeper I have found something I REALLY like about this that is different from any other scenery addon.Wilco had provide a text file in each airport scenery folder that tells the contents of each bgl.So if you want to remove objects you can and not only gain performace but keep the level of detail the same outside the airport.I think that's a great thing.For one I do not care for having macro object like fences and trees because they eat so much FPS up.I have deleted all my of my static airplanes and everything runs fine and a bit smoother.I proboly will not be adding to much more AI because I do most of my flying on VATSIM so you do not see the AI anyways.The night lighting is great and I think everyone that gets this will like it. The taxiway lights (green) will be very bright on appoarch (good stuff) .I have now played with FSNAT alittle and it seems like it could go far.I think FSNAT will be great for doing online flights and seeing a mass of airport activity.By default there is hardly any FSNAT going on.You create the bulk of it yourself.I have not looked into the programing how to so I can't comment on how easy it is.For those wondering about DFW.The textures will make your jaw drop.The FPS are much better than simflyers version but the again simflyers is much more detail .For those who want a decent DFW with great textures and perforance this is .For those who want every single building and taxiway sign keep simflyers.The Wilco version seems to just concentrate on the areas of the airport that are more likely to be used by the average user because it is such a big place.Alittle more on 737it has presets keystrokes so you can go from the captains view to a coach seat .For example CTRL-1 gives you the pilots view.They even have bathroom if you really need to go :-lol. Active Camera will not be compatable with the 737 they have their own thing and it seems a bit touchy .It is controlled from a few switches behind the captains seat.The FPS in the 737 are not very good so I dout I will be using it much.Just like in real life you can not SHIFT-1 and get a window and in the 737 it's the same way.If you have to use the radio you will have to find it click in the FQ .This feature I like and do not like.I is kind of pain to be honest but Iam sure Iam doing this the hard way :).This whole thing with 737 is great but it needs work just like any new idea.I believe user feedback will be very important for this.One more Thought :)Finally if you are looking to have AI everywhere and have your resolution at 1600x1200 expecting great performance this will not happen.Iam not a fan of a ton of AI anyways so I can over look this.What is my final judgement.I do not have one just yet.I would like to see how Wilco will react to the simmers words and suggestionsI would suggest opening up a different thread to catch wilco's GOOD attention :). Iam not going to say if I perfer Simflyers or Wilco more but I perfer both.Both have good things and bad things.When it comes down too it I think it's what you expect or what you want in airport product.I believe this product will make most people very happy once the flaws can be over looked.I know iam really starting like it now verus my first few minutes with it.In all honesty though I expected a bit more.It is a good product though do not get me wrong once again.Iam going to keep it. Iam hoping a patch will take care of most of the big stuff.A word of advice to Wilco " you never patch a product to much".I ordered mine 2day ground delievery from avsim :)Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Hi Andre'Right now, I am trying to decide whether to go with the SimFlyer's or the Wilco version.Which one do you recommend and why?Rob

What don't you like about the SimFlyer's version?Thanks,Rob

I like all the simflyers stuff.I own all the us airports.I was just tring to say that if you want to know what is better I do not have a anwser.Each has it's pro and cons.If you want every single little airport detail go with simflyers.if you want the main terminals and most airport important airport landmarks in amazing photoreal textures you will benfit from Wilco more.I got airports 2002 v1 mainly for KATL and KORD.Iam a bit disappointed with KATL only because the cargo area and Delta headquarters are missing and to me this is a very important part of KATL becuase they do a alot of cargo flights and without that area it makes KATL look unfinshed.KATL is a HUGE place.If you are unfimilar with the mass size of KATL you could always look on airliners.net and do some comparing.I see KATL almost everyday so more picky than I should be about itIam thinking what I might do is find a way to merge some of the simflyers cargo areas with Wilco's stuff and have the best of both worlds if that is possible :)Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3