Sign in to follow this  

Help with flicker problem needed

I just upgraded from a P3 733 to an Athlon XP 1800. System has 512 ram, WinME, ATI Rage Fury / Xpert 2000 Pro video and a SB PCI 128 soundcard. I had no problem with FS2002 yesterday with the P3, but now have a very bad flicker problem in any of the cockpit views. The other views ( tower and spot )are normal. The only advice I can find relative to this problem has been to disable the heirarchalZ tab in the Rage Tweak program. I downloaded the Rage3D Tweaker program, version 1.5, but can't find such a tab to uncheck in this version. Any help will be greatly appreciated. It looks like I'll finally be able to use this program with the great framerates I've been without, if I can get rid of the flicker...

Sfermano,Does this problem occur in windowed or full-screen mode? If windowed then you need to check your refresh rates. Right-click on the Desktop, choose Properties, Settings tab, Advanced. Click the Monitor tab and check that the refresh rate is at least 75Hz - 85Hz is best.If it happens in full-screen mode check in FS2002 that you have selected a resolution and colour depth suitable for your graphics card.I would disable all these fancy settings that come with the graphics card as FS doesn't really benefit from them.Regards,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for the quick response Ray. Unfortunately, none of your suggestions fixed the problem. Refresh rate is set at 85 Hz and I've tried all settings and color depth with no luck. The flickering occurs in both window and full screen cockpit views only.I didn't change any settings or the video card, only the motherboard and processor, going from a P3, 733 to an AMD Athlon XP1800. The only other change was to DDR Ram if that made the difference. I have read that AMD's and FS2002 have compatibility problems, but haven't seen any fixes addressing my particular flicker problem. Thanks again for your suggestions. I'll keep searching for an answer. My upgrade was specifically for FS2002, so I'm pretty frustrated at this point...

Sfermano,So there's no problem with refresh rates (or flickering) when using Windows itself? Only with FS2002?If that's the case it might be worthwhile renaming FS2002.CFG and relaunching FS2002 and a new one will be generated.As for general incompatibility issues with AMD processors and FS2002 I'd be surprised if there were any. I've moved to a 2000XP in the last week and FS is wonderful. It sounds to me more like a graphics card driver problem.I'm not familiar with the ATI Rage Fury / Xpert 2000 Pro video card but without knowing how you have upgraded the machine I'm making educated guesses. Obviously a change of mobo which suggests a clean install of Windows Me. Did you use the default drivers that came with Me or did you download the latest from ATI's web site?Regards,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, the problem is only with FS2002 and only in the cockpit views. The tower and spot views work fine with no flashing or flicker. I spent the day downloading and installing graphics drivers, new and old, with no luck. I'll look around the forum topics now to see what graphics cards people are using with a system similar to mine and hope for good results.I tried renaming the .cfg file and even installing the program, but still no luck. Thanks for all your suggestions. Unfortunately, once a company comes out with a new generation of a product, support for the older product disappears... ...Steve

Hi Steve,This problem gets more mysterious by the hour. The fact that it only happens in cockpit mode has me baffled. I still feel it's a driver issue. Your card is not one that is widely used in FS - probably why so many people stick to GeForce cards - but I hope you find the solution.Good luck!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello Ray:Check this out if you want to remain baffled...I bought and installed a GeForce 3 TI500 and the flickering problem ( only in cockpit mode ) remains. Mysteriously enough, when in spot plane view, the view moves slowly to the left without any input from me. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I thought I'd have a great system for FS2K2, but can't use it without cockpit view. I just wanted to update you on the fact that I upgraded the video card and will keep poking away at it. If you think of anything else to try, please feel free to throw your ideas my way. I'll try anything at this point... ...Steve in CA

Ray:I finally figured it out. After staring at the flickering over and over, I saw that the flickering was actually the front view and left view switching back and forth rapidly. I disconnected the joystick and it stopped. I switched to a generic 2 axis / 4 button joystick and all is well. I'll drop a line to Thrustmaster to see if they've got an updated driver or some other solution for me. Thanks again for trying to help or figure out my problem. It was driving me nuts for days, only to be a simple problem. Now I can enjoy the terrific graphics and smooth flying with my GeForce3 TI500 card. Happy Flying... ...Steve in southern CA.

Hi Steve,Great news and I'm pleased that you can now enjoy FS to the full. We had a similar problem with joystick interference when beta testing the 767PIC - this time with a CH driver. The 767PIC programmers were able to work around the problem. It seems joystick can be the bain of our lives but could we live without them? Probably not! :-)Happy flying!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather