Sign in to follow this  
brucek

New System and WinXP Upgrade Edition- Install Win98 Fir

I'm about to power up a new system I've built. I have Windows XP, upgrade (Home) edition. Is there any need or advantage in installing Win98(SE) first on a seperate partition? Any upsides or downsides to that?Thanks,Bruce.

Guest georgi55

It will be disadvantage if youinstall 98 first.Some people are forced to isntall 98 first and then upgrate to Xp because of their hardware issues,but since you've built a new computer, I suspect you will have new hardware, so go ahead and do a clean install of XP.Good luck :)

Thanks- so do I just show XP the Win98 CD (and key), when it looks for the old OS?Thanks,Bruce.

Guest DNelson

Yes, the XP installer will prompt you to insert the Win98 CD at some point during the installation.If you have plenty of hard drive space (or 2 HD's) and want to still have access to Win98, you could set up a dual boot system. First partition your hard drive into at least two partitions (C and D) Then install Win98 on the C partition (Win 9x and ME must be installed on the C: drive only). Then you can install XP on the D: partition or drive. XP will see Win 98 on the C drive and so will not require the CD to be inserted as proof of eligibility. You will have a "clean" install of XP on the D drive. A clean install is almost always better than installing over the top of an existing OS.Dan