Sign in to follow this  
Guest GrantM

Thinking of switching to the Mac X OS...any ideas?

Guest Matt Johnson

Jaguar is nice. Before anyone asks, the 1GHz/3GHz disparity is in fact okay... bear in mind that the Motorola processors are RISC, whereas Intel is CISC -- this will lead to precisely this disparity, when in fact if you compare something a little more constructive (like Million Instructions Per Second) you will find that the two appear more competitive.The nice thing about OSX from my view is that it provides an excellent GUI with a rock solid Unix/BSD backend. The reason it doesn't crash is because it has a properly segmented memory model, as implemented in most *nixen. You get the best of both worlds in that there is quite a bit of quality OSX native software, and also LOTS of unix-based software you can run from the Terminal or through XDarwin. Go look at the Fink project (fink.sf.net) for more info.Mac OSX is good. I'm looking forward to Project Marklar myself, too. (The OSX GUI on x86...)--M

Guest Simpit

>And are we gonna do if FS2K4 drops win 95/98? erm... - upgrade? I haven't tried running FS2002 on Windows 3.1, but I have my doubts...Derek

That's just repeating the same old uninformed prejudices about macs.Or maybe you're just trying to stir up an old arguement just for the fun of it ;-) ?Paul

Guest JonP01

Upgrading to run FS2004 is one choice. The other choice is not buy FS2004.

Guest eko

It's going to be a while before I get tired of FS2002. FS2004 is going to have to blow the lid off the can for me to even consider giving up FS2002. For all it's quirks, it is still the best they have done in a LONG time.

Guest GrantM

Ken,I live in both worlds for work and play, having a PIII 1Ghz running W2KPro at home and a G4 running Mac OS Jaquar at work. I find the only difference is more choices in software in the Windows world obviously. I have your same sentiments about the MS world of unreliable, insecure, constant upgrading, and EULA changing software it seems every month. But for flight simming, the Windows world offers the most. I started out simming with Mac but now it can only offer you FLY! (no longer supported and out of business, and not on OS X) and X-Plane (which I was one of the original buyers at $229, felt a bit ripped off at the time but it was the only Mac flight sim in town and my opinion of it now is a bit amateurish to what I have experienced in MSFS2K and FLY!II). I would stick with a good beefy pentium machine in lieu of a Mac for flight simming since your choices are so limited in the Mac environment, especially OS X. As far a Jaguar, wow 10.2 is awesomely stable, intuitive... what I like over the windows environment, which many feel is a real computer because they can manipulate so much of the internals of hard and software, but the Mac OS is really ingenious for knowing how people really use the computer and making an OS environment that allows you to get the work done you need to get done, quickly and efficiently.. that is what it is all about. Good luck on your decision making.GrantM

Sadly, the "latest and greatest" games are more, and more, being developed for consoles like X-Box and Playstation. PC users may in the not so distant future, find themselves in the same boat as mac users - no software for their expensive computers.