I currently have a P-4 2.0 Gig systemI am considering upgrading my CPU and Motherboard to a P-4 3.06 Gig. If I upgrade, will it be necessary to re-format and re-install all of my programs?Thanks for your help.

Guest kilo_sierra17

Yeah, when doing a MOBO change and CPU change or just one of those, you might be able to get windows working but there would be so many problems and windows would be so slow, it would make the upgrade worthless, defiently format the HD.

Guest airbusboy

Gosta"If you're using Xp, there's no need to reformat, just do a repair install..."That's interesting as i wasn't aware that XP could do this - how is a repair install invoked ? Also, what happens to the chipset drivers already installed for the previous mobo/cpu ?Gary

I am using XP. The repair install sounds a lot better than reformatting. The idea of having to re-install all of my programs was what was holding me back.Thanks for your quick reply.

Hi Gary, to do a repair install, just load the Windows CD, and the option will come up, once it has detected that XP is already installed. However, there are two different 'repair' option. One is like 'System Restore', which isn't the one you want. The correct one will be available, once you select 'Install Windows'. Any non-Windows parts of your old drivers will remain on your drive, so it may be a good idea to uninstall them first.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg