Sign in to follow this  
Azapata87

um a little worried here getting some strange HD related error messeges

hi,Today I was doing some moving and deleting between my two harddrives and I got this error "Cannot copy PAI_install_air_maroc: Data error (cyclic reduduncy check). Am I loosing a harddrive here or what? I would be devastated if I lost my main FS harddrive :-( A couple weeks ago I got an error while downloading a file that said something about a "write error" and then the download failed I didin't pay much attention to it. What does this error mean? "Data error: (cyclic reduduncy check)" sounds a little serious too me heh.Andrew

Guest ChkSix

Andrew,Don't give me credit for this. A little info on Cyclic Redundancy Errors:Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) is a method of detecting errors in data transmission. A CRC is data that is sent with a block of data, when received by where the information is being sent to the CRC can be checked to verify if data was all received.Cause:This error message could be generated by any of the following reasons:During the transmission of the file it became corrupt or badThe file was sent inappropriatelyThe device being opened from is bad or contains errorsThe file itself is bad or the program attempting to open the file is bad.Solution:Network / Modem transmission issuesIf you are attempting to open the file from a network / modem it is likely the network either is encountering collisions or other errors during the data transmission. Note: if the file is being sent through a session such as FTP or Telnet it is possible that it may not be sent properly. If the file is a text file the file must be sent in a ASCII or TEXT mode. If however the file is a program or non-text file it must be sent as a Binary file.Attempt to re-send the file.Try Alternate method of sending the file.Verify the file was sent properly (ASCII / TEXT / Binary)Verify with Network Administrator that the network is not experiencing issues.Removable media issuesIf the file is attempting to be opened from a removable media such as a Zip disk / Floppy diskette it is possible data corruption is being encountered on the diskette itself or when coming from the removable media.Try an alternate diskette or mediaCD issuesIf the file is being opened from a CD-ROM it is possible the CD is dirty or scratched causing read errors. If the CD was burned it is possible that it was burned improperly.Clean the CD-ROMRe-burn the softwareFile is bad or program attempting to open the file is badFinally, if the file is being opened from the hard disk drive or other media it is likely that the file is corrupted or the program opening the file is corrupted.Download the file again.Reinstall the program being used to open the fileAttempt to open with a different programIf the file is on the hard disk drive run scandisk / defragAssume the file is bad and cannot be recovered MikeP4 2.4C @3.44 285FSBAsus P4C800 Deluxe1gb Corsair XMS PC3500 Asus V9950 FX5900 Ultra 256mb 500/950SB Audigy2 Platinum ExWatercooled baby!!!Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/chksix2002Areyounervousyet.jpg

Guest ccgr

who makes your hard drive? ususually on the manufacturers website you can download a disk utility to run. Run that to confirm your drive..back up your data just in case. Depending on the drive or when you bought it, it may have a 1 or 3 year warranty.