Sign in to follow this  
MKaprocki

VMax AFCS II Modification

Howdy all. I've had my AFCS II for about 2-3 years now. It was cool when I got it, but after really using it I found that I was pretty much unable to fly with it. Eventually I gave up, and just stored it away for a year. The problem lies in the fact that there is only 45

Guest dfoulk

Hey Matt,Pretty gutsy, my man :)How many teeth did you add per side. You sort of have my attention with your idea! Is the stopper just attached with an allen nut?Thanks,Den

Hi Den, thanks for the comments. :-) We added about 4 teeth per side. We put clear tape on one side of the gear, marked where the teeth were, then unstuck the tape and rotated it to see where the new teeth should go. Then we just filed down until we got to the lines.Everything is held on with allen nuts, so have a goot set of allen wrenches ready. We used a total of 3 different sizes, but I don't know what sizes they were. You'll have to take the shaft completely off to get everything done.It was well worth it, though. I've been flying with it this week and it's unbelievable how much better it is. I don't even notice that it doesn't have rotational springs. :D

Guest dfoulk

Thanks Matt!I think that I will put the mod on the agenda for this week. My yoke is out of warranty anyway, so it might just be the reason to delve into it for a look see.Will probably have to grab a file for the project. Good idea about the tape. No guts, no glory!!!Den

Just make sure you're carefull when you're adding the teeth. Get it right the first time and you won't have to worry about it binding once you get the gear back on. Good luck on it, and let me know how it goes! :D