Sign in to follow this  
Guest pochan

Unstable textures and etc.

Guest pochan

Hello everyone!I'am writing becasue I'am tired of changing my PC settings and being unable to get proper results. The thing is that both FS2K2 and FS9 scenery textures are...hmmmm shaking, moving, flowing, flickering (don't know how to describe this better) while the quality and speed (frames) remains fine. I'am not sure now if it's a software problem or.....should I install WinXP again...or maybe it's a hardware thing? If You have any ideas or expirience with similar problems tell me so.Anyway, I've got AMD Athlon XP/MP Burton 3000+(2.2 Ghz) on MSI K7N2 Delta mainboard with 2x512 DDR TWINMOS DUAL memory and Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB video card (2 x HDD Seagate Barracuda 20/80 GB)Best RegardsAndrewPolish VACC

Guest Edwin

Hi Andrew,Never heard of this problem but I'm also unsure exactly what your problem is. Obviously, starting from scratch (i.e. format your hard drive if necessary) and reinstalling everything is the ideal scenario but it can also be a real hassle. The first thing I would do is to reinstall your video driver and use the latest one (Catalyst 5.9, I think) from the ATI Web site. If that fails, uninstall all your FS add-ons and see what happens. Failing that, then uninstall FS9 as well and reinstall FS9 to ensure everything is in default.BTW, do you encounter such problems in other programs? Test your video card with benchmarking software (e.g. 3DMark05, available at http://www.futuremark.com/) or a game, e.g. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory etc.Edwin

Andrew, I'm not sure this will be of help to you. However, you have a similar system to me (I have the 2700+ XP processor but the memory and mainboard are the same.) I have the nVidia 6800 card however.I'm pretty pleased with my set up - I recently wrote a post on the frame rates obtained and the settings I use on my system. It might help you to look at that post as you can at least compare where you are starting from.I'm no computer whiz but when setting up my system - going back some time now - I got a great deal of information from this site. I then experimented a lot with all the settings.Edwin gives very good advice (along with Jaap and the others) - and has helped me with things. One thing many people seem to forget is to ensure their system is OK to start with - before trying to set up FS9. I mean by this that it is not cluttered with things running in the back ground or that the computer is not bunged up with disused files and the like. "Spyware" in the system is another problem -or it wasfor me when I started learning to set up my system.I use three freeware programs I got off the internet. "RegCleaner", "CCleaner" and "Ad-aware". The first two help you to make sure all is cleared from the system that you don't need. As an example I had about 15 things running in the background when I stared - I now have just 5. I also had a huge pile of "Spyware" clogging things up.I also make sure I have ALL the latest drivers - Motherboard, BIOS and certainly the graphics card driver. I also always run an anti virus program ALL the time as I like to fly on-line.As I've said I don't know about Radeon cards as I don't have one but I found getting the right balance of Anti-aliasing, mipmapping, and antriscopic (not sure how to spell that one:-) )filtering took some time to stop a sort of shimmering of the scenery. You no doubt are aware that it is thought best to have you video card deal with the anti aliasing - rather than through the FS9 program.You probably have already read the "howtweak.zip" freeware (I'm not sure if that one will help ) - I've only just got it myself and not read it yet - I have read the articles "tandt12.zip" which is a list of tips on setting up the system. There are many of these on Avsim library, "tant2.zip" on upwards - always of use and I certainly learned a lot from them.As said Andrew, I'm no expert and am still trying to learn but some of these things helped me - I do hope they have been of some use.If I've got any of this wrong I'm sure one of the Computer Whiz people will correct me - I don't always know the technical names etc.Good luck and Regards Blue.

Guest baksteen33

Hello gentlemen, a great idea to check whether other apps behave alike. I would also suggest to try activating 'Vertical Sync' or Vsync in the display adapter's settings and see if it helps. :-) Here's a link to the 'other site' which helped somebody in 'the other Avsim hardware forum': http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...id=&page=#14095And it was mentioned in this thread: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...10682&mode=fullI'm aware this is not part of the topic, but in case you missed the Ati 'shimmer fix', perhaps check the MSFS section on this site. There are two threads on the subject (keyword 'DX Override'). Good luck and kind regards Jaap

Guest Flyn2day

Andrew,I think I am experiencing the same problem you are. Your description is how I would describe it. The scenery jerks a little from time to time even though my framrates remain high. This problem is most notable when closer to the ground, i.e. landing, or low VFR flying. I have a Dell Dimension XPS P4 2.8 Ghz with 1 Gig of ram and I am also using a Radeon 9800 Pro 128.I recently (less than a week ago) cleaned everything out. Reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP and updated ALL system drivers including the latest ATI driver 5.9. installed no add on scenery (boring) and am still experiencing the same problem. I have found it more noticable with higher graphic settings in FS and when around more detailed scenery. Also, higher resolution settings (1280x1024) seems to amplify the problemI have come to the conclusion it's my graphics card. So I am in the process of reseaching them now to find a replacement. Cleaning out my system did help some aspects of FS. It loads faster and my overall system is more perky or energetic but it did not solve the problem with the small jerks and stutters I see.JR

Guest pochan

Thak You all for response, I've tried to find best way to solve my problem by analysing all the hits i've been given and I took several steps just to make sure all next actions will be safe/proper. Now I have my XP and FS9 reinstalled so it'll take a while to set up scenery and stuff..What I can say right now is that when I came across the topic about DX3D Overriding tool ...I was so happy by the fact that it's so simple to adjust ATI so I did get this .dll but after I've placed files on my FS directory I couldn't start FS9 bcause of some Direct X version conflict caused by these files. After deleting it things work fine...?????? (I have DirectX 9c)Andrew