Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

AMD 3500 and memory upgrade

Hi all, I am currently running and AMD64 3500 Venice on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard. I currently have (2) sticks of CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200). I'd like to upgrade to a total of 2G of RAM using (2) more sticksof the same so I don't have to eat the first 2 sticks. I've heard that doing so the RAM may be downgraded to a slower speed. I've also heard or read that with the Venice core that the memorycontroller can now handle this without the ram speed being downgraded. Any info regarding this would be most helpfull as I can't seem to locate anything but conflicting info online. Help from a hardware guru needed!! Thanks in advance. Craig

Guest wayupthere

Hi Craig,It is true that the venice core is indeed capable of running 4 dimms at DDR400 dual channel. However some motherboards clock them down to 333 (+- 30 points less in 3DMark05) automaticly to adjust for the proper timings. Try it and if your motherboard clocks them down and you know how to adjust the timings adjust them. Run memtest and RightMark Memory Analyzer to check for stability. One thing to keep in mind though is heat, 4 dimms need to be kept cool too.PS. this is the same reply as to yours made in the other HW forum ;)