Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

Need your advice for a new video card

I have to replace my old ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128MB, due to overheating.Since I will probably buy a whole new system incl. a high end video card in a few months, the replacement card I'm looking for now does not have to be a high end card it should only match the performance of my old Radeon 9800.Since they don't sell the Radeon 9800 any more where I live, I ask you what alternative AGP card, either Radeon od Nvida, which matches the performance of my old card, can you suggest?I will need the card only for FS2004, because I will only upgrade to FSX after I have bought my completely new system.BTW I will also post this in the MSFS Hardware forumThanks in advance for your help!WolfgangMy rough sys specsPentium 4, 2.4 GHZ1024 MB RAMWindows XP Pro

Guest wayupthere

Wolfgang,At what resolution has the 9800 been running?.

Hi Davis,Many thanks for your prompt reply.in FS9 I mostly used 1280 x 960.Sometimes, when I wanted better performance I used 1024 x 768and when I was tired of oval gauges is switched to 1280 x 1024 (I have a TFT which supportes 1.25 ratio).Outside Of FS9 I allways used 1280 x 1024, but actually I need the new video card only for FS9.Maybe it is also of interest which AA and AF settings I preferred;AA = 4, AF = 8.BTW I had the impresseion that my card does not antialiase DXT3 textures correctly and was told that this is a general ATI problem. Does this problem still exist or was this more a driver's issue. If it is ATI card related, maybe I should better go for a Nvidia?CheersWolfgang

Guest wayupthere

Hey Wolfgang,The equal for the 9800 was roughly around the FX5700 but that wont be good for FS. Well as far as i know that current ATI's dont have those issues anymore. That said i haven't used ATI in a long time. At that resolution you might want to have a look at an NV6800 or NV7600. The hi-end of the mid-class GPU's on AGP also the last great one is the NV7800GS, but i don't think that would be worth it (over 200USD)if you go to a highend rig soon.If you still want ATI maybe you can have a look at a X1650, midrange cards, not too expensive nowadays around 150/160US that should keep u happy until your major upgrade to highend.