Sign in to follow this  
Guest janvis

Dell 3007WFP-HC Widescreen

Guest janvis

I am interested in buying a Dell 3007WFP-HC 30-inch widescreen monitor ( along with a new system based on Intel Core 2 Duo E6700,Geforce 8800 GTX,4 Gig DDR2 SDRAM).Have read some good reports about the Dell 2405FPW widescreen monitor here but non about the 3007WFP.My simple question is would it be a good choice to run FS9 and possibly FSX on such an extreme w-i-d-e monitor or would the Dell 2405FPW be a better choice ?....Any suggestions highly appreciated !Cheers,Jan

Guest wayupthere

Welcome onboard Jan,Well regarding your system, id opt for the E6600 instead of the E6700.<= READ NOTE ON BOTTOM.Both CPUs are architecturally the same, and i don't think that the mere 200Mhz extra you get with the E6700 is worth the extra money. IMO save your money, and get the E6600 and clock it the same, or higher as the E6700. (Depending on what mobo you get, it should be more than capable to do so, as the E6600 is a wonderful OCer.)As far as your DIMMS, what OS are you running/going to run? XP or Vista, and what version X32 or X64.If you run XP 32bits or Vista 32bits get 2GB for XP or 3GB for Vista, 4GB would be a waste since a 32bits OS doesn't, and isn't able to address more than 3GB.If your still want to use 4GB, get a *64bits OS. <= READ NOTE ON BOTTOM.As to your monitor, first of just an FYI, FS9 does not natively support wide-screen, so you will end up with stretched 2D panels, just so you know that,so if that doesnt concern you it still is a nice and big one.Secondly, know that when buying a monitor, always negotiate the GPU too, the higher the res you run,the more will be asked of your GPU, now with the 8800GTX you should be fine covering the larger resolutions of that screen, but again just so you know, that the resolution settings from you monitor and its connected GPU(s) are very dependant on each other performance-wiseLastly, I saw that monitor myself when shopping around last week, its a great looking screen with good performance, however just know that its a bit limited with connection options. So if thats not an issue for you either, the screen is a keeper. Its better to go larger, than having multiple monitors imho anyway._________NOTE:If you are planning to use a 64bits Operating System, be sure that all your drivers that you will need are indeed available, don't assume they are, CHECKNOTE 2:Price-drops on Intel CPUs, have already or will start somewhere around Jul 22nd, depending on where you live, just another FYI.

Guest janvis

Thanks a lot for your elaborate reply and great tips,Davis ! Greatly appreciated ! :-) I'm afraid i have zero experience with overclocking a CPU ( i have very little knowledge about the working of computers in the first place although i'm working with them for more then 20 years, with great satisfaction i might add :-cool ) so that won't be an option. I have read that the Core 2 Extreme X6800 would be the thing to go for re FS but i found it to be massively expensive. I just thought the E6700 would be a good alternative but i might change to E6600 thanks to your tip. ( will it make no significant difference between these two *without* overclocking the latter ? ) I have read nothing but bad reports about Vista and FS at the moment so i will probabely stick to XP. The system i have in mind is a Dell XPS 710. The problem is that I had to sadly come to the conclusion that Dell isn't the Dell anymore i used to know. Their earlier great customer service/support seems to have gone to the dogs, atleast here in the Netherlands.They must be making too much money..... :+About the 32bits versus 64bits OS i am still trying to wriggle that out of them... ( you can't even talk to a sale's person anymore, you'll have to wait for them to call you, which, subsequently, they don't.... :-mad ) Thank you particularly for your comment about DIMMS with regard to the 32/64 issue ! Reading your comments and thinking about it some more i think i will suppress my urge to buy this wonderful 30 inch widescreen and go for the more modest 24 inch. While i am pretty much a 'VC pilot' i'll always appreciate the crisp look of a nicely done 2D panel and i know about the shortcoming of atleast FS9 to handle gauges of a 2D panel on a wide screen monitor ( my current monitor is a NEC FE1250+ 22 inch CRT, very nice picture indeed, but i always seem to want something bigger re the monitor whenever i buy a new system..:-) ) I believe FSX has an option to adapt the 2D panel to wide screen ?.... I cannot feel comfortable with FSX running on my current system ( AMD Athlon 64 3400 HT, Geforce 6800 Ultra,1 Gig DDR400 ) but i have good hope this might change for the better with this new rig i have in mind if i can get Dell to sell it to me..:-zhelp Thank you very much again for your comments,hints and tips, Davis, they are a great help for me to make the final decision ! Wayupthere compared to what i could get out of Dell at this time ! :-beerchug Best regards,Jan

Jan, follow the advice of Davis "Its better to go larger, than having multiple monitors imho anyway." As far as the "Dell 3007WFP", I saw it on display, I was very much impressed. I would have bought it except for the fact that my system could not have handled it. I ended up, thankfully, by getting a Westinghouse 37" with a res. of 1920x1080 which works just great and was cheaper than the 30" Dell ..........not as great as Davis' (G). By the way, I got the Dell 27" as a 2nd monitor. It has lots of inputs.Abe

Guest janvis

Abe, thanks for your input, afraid i got scared and went with the 24inch Dell 2407WFP. The system however is 'ready for the 3007WFP'. Been checking out your Westinghouse 37" and Dell 27" just now and Wow!! :-eek :-cool Didn't know about their existance. Dell Holland doesn't list this 27" if so i would've sure considered it ! The Westinghouse isn't available here in Holland but i did read a post from a Belgian guy who imported it. The price is indeed less then the Dell 30" but i'd have to pay about 35% custom and import duties on top of it. Sure does look wonderful !But i figure with both these monitors you're stuck with those heavily stretched 2D panel gauges ??..... Cheers,Jan

Guest wayupthere

>But i figure with both these monitors you're stuck with those heavily stretched 2D panel gauges ??Hey Jan,Trust me, with my 57" and Abe's 37", you'll soon forget about those stretched gauges, especially when flying from VC in combo with TrackIr ;)

Jan,I am very happy with both my monitors. Both monitors have practically the same res. (37" @1920x1080 and 27" @1920x1200). No distortion with the 2d panels.If you have any questions, let me know.Cheers,Abe

Hi Davis,You beat me to it. You must have posted just before me. I am still working on my wish list, I'll have ready for you in no time.And of course, you have the BESTEST system in ALL the Flight SIm world.Cheers,Abe

Guest wayupthere

Hey Abe,Haha doubt its the best, but its more (for now) than plenty for me work/fun-wise ;)Sure thing, when you have your list, just shoot me a mail.