Sign in to follow this  
brucek

RAID 0 array transfer to new PC.

I have a susyem with 2 SATA HD's in RAID0 configuration. My understanding is that the data is stored on both drives, and cannot be accessed from a single drive alone.I want to install a new motherboard, which will mean a new OS (XP) install. Will I loose the data on my 2 drives (other than the OS partition that I need to re-install)when I hook up these new drives to my new system? My understanding is that when I create a new RAID0 configuration on my new PC that all data is lost on the 2 HD's, and even if I chose not to use RAID0 and just use the drives in conventional (non-RAID) configuration, that neither drive will have complete data, but only partial data.Any suggestions on how to overcome this question would be appreciated.Thanks- Bruce.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Bruce,RAID can be imnplemented 3 ways:1. Software (by Win XP)2. On-Motherboard chip a. Intel SouthBridge b. Promise Controller3. Add-In Card (PCI, PCIe)This is important because RAID partition implementation tends to be proprietary, i.e. you will only be able to access the partitions via the same method (see above) the partition was crearted!So 2., the most common situation, could be a problem if your new MB sports a different brand chip!Best: Do a backup prior to building your new PC! :-)HTH.Cheers,Andrew.

Thanks for the info on RAID. A backup is where I thought I was going :)Bruce.