Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeM

Dual Optical Drives...

Just curious:What is the purpose of having TWO IDENTICAL optical drives(TSST Corp DVDR/RW TS-632L ATA Device)on a gaming configured comp?-George

Guest wayupthere

Hello George,Hmmm, well on a gaming system you really don't need two.Thats good if you do like a lot of copying on the fly DVD or CD direct to another.One suffices, but I guess it doesn't hurt to have them,even on a gaming system.As long as it doesn't drive up its price I would just go with it, you never know when (if) you would ever need one. If that times ever come you have one.Regards,

Thanks for your reply, Davis.These two drives are pre-installed on the HP Blackbird 002 which is assembled by Voodoo (recently acquired by HP) and their forte is computer gaming. Maybe I'll ask them!Thanks again.-G

Guest wayupthere

Just thought of one exception . It could be that either one is a stand-alone HD-DVD or Blu-ray drive, mixed with another combo cd/dvd-drive..Anyway yeah just ask them,Regards,

>Just thought of one exception . It could be that either one>is a stand-alone HD-DVD or Blu-ray drive, mixed with another>combo cd/dvd-drive..>>Anyway yeah just ask them,>>Regards,>Davis, I directed my question to the HP/Voodoo Blackbird 002 site this morning and they responded with the following additional tasks that a second optical drive could perform:"Disc to Disc copy. One for Burning while your using the other for playing Music CD in one playing, other free for other uses. Lightscribe can take up to an hour per disc depending on quality and graphic. Second drive allows you to still utilize your PC. They are many reasons why you would want 2 drives in your PC, these are just a few." --------------------- So, it all makes sense now; I had not thought of some of these tasks that a second drive could so before today.-G

Guest wayupthere

Hey George,Yeah, but still. >>One for Burning while your using the other for playingYou really don't want to do anything else whilst burning, but really you want to finish all the burning to get the least amount of errors, even on todays standards PCs.>>Music CD in one playingI guess, I can see some point, but be real though, music on a computer. Not many people use an actual CD anymore,nowadays its all ripped to the HD already.>> Lightscribe can take up to an hour per disc....For me (Verbatims + Lite-on Writer) burning lightscribe on highest setting only takes me 30min,I wonder what system they base their 1h on.--From a marketing point its good, another extra drive would raise the price a bit, the more money can be made they will do it.Their arguments are valid, but I still see no point in it other than them making more money.But thats just my 2y.Regards,

Yeah, I understand your point of view. I cannot find the exact retail price of these drives but it would probably be $40 or $50 (US).I also understand that this particular Blackbird configuration was made "by gamers for gamers" so this may have had some impact on the selection of dual drives.Have a good one...-G