Sign in to follow this  
brucek

GT Video card- System Sentinel Message??

Hi, and happy new year everyone.I have not long woken a new system up- GA-X38T-DQ6 motherboard, Q6600 CPU, 2GB of DDR3 RAM. I am using an existing case, PSU and video card (for now).When I loaded video drivers (169.21), and re-booted, I got a message that I have never seen befoe, from the "NVidia sentinel":"The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the Nvidia powered grahics card is not receiving sufficient power. To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations. "My PSU is 650W, and always (at least appeared) to operate OK with my prior system (AMD 4800 X2 with 2GB Corsair DDR memory). I also have a connected a molex connector to the motherboard where it's required when running 2 GPU's, just to provide some additional power if needed. Has anyone seen this before? Or can offer advice? This message comes up every time I reboot.Thanks- Bruce.Edit: No overclocking on either CPU, memory or GPU.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Feeling kind of dumb :)I finally got back to the PC and noted that I had not connected the 6 pin power connector to the rear of the GPU card. No wonder I was seeing issues with not enough power getting to the video card.Bruce.

Hey Bruce,Besides that, also note (if you haven't already). For best/stable performance, notice that the GPU cable splits into two connectors. Give each connector its own line straight to the PSU (so don't loop it, via a HD or DVD drive)Regards,

Thanks Davis, and yes I do have a stand-alone cable to the PSU.The funny thing is that I can never recall fitting this additional power cable to this GPU before (I am re-using the same GPU fom my last build). Thanks, and happy new year! I'm about to install FSX and commence putting this box through it's first speed trials :)Bruce.