Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scratch1964

Query About Firewire - USB & Networking

Guest Scratch1964

I have just acquired one of those portable USB cables with six different plug on male connectors of various USB & firewire types. On the packaging is a diagram of two desktop PC's interconnected by USB to firewire.Whilst i understand it is not recommended to connect two PC's via USB with a standard USB cable, is it safe if I put a firewire connector on one end of the cable and connect one PC's USB port to the other PC's firewire port. The purpose of which is to transfer data between the two. I had also intended to network the two PC's via Firewire as I understand IEE 1394a supports the TCP/IP protocol.Is is possible to network the two PC's in this way, or would I have to resort to a firewire-firewire connection with a separate 6pin to 4pin Firewire cable (i.e. desktop 6pin to notebook 4pin)?Also, can I network a 2nd desktop PC from the notebook using a wired LAN whilst the firewire connection is running independently between the notebook and the 1st desktop PC?Scratch1964

I'd recommend strongly against it... if you're doing what I think you're doing.USB and Firewire use different pinouts and signalling - you run the risk of sending voltages to one or both computers which could cause damage to the USB/Firewire chipsets, or worse, the whole motherboards themselves. Never interconnect two different types of interfaces.You CAN go Firewire-Firewire, but I would recommend perhaps fetching the cable that is appropriate for the job. Yes, you can also network in another computer via the Ethernet, and it would be independent of the other networking solution. Good luck,-Greg