Sign in to follow this  
geoffco

Strange Task Manager Question...

This isn't a problem (I don't think so anyway) but just an oddity and I wondered if anyone else has experienced it:I have overclocked my AMD Athlon X2 4800+ to 3.0GHz and ever since doing this (about 5 months now) I have noticed that in the Windows XP Task Manager performance window one core (2nd one) is always running slightly higher than the other - even when I shut down pretty much all services etc!Any ideas why this is? When I put the system under load the two readouts are usually even (apart from things like FS9 which uses only one).Geoff

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Geoff,Likely cause that there is still a (or more) service(s) still running, utilizing a bit of CPU power cycles, taking it from whatever core. Remember you cant shut down ALL services, there are still hidden and system services that always need to be running to keep your OS alive.As long as the cycles used on idle isn't an insane amount, you shouldn't worry about it.Put up a screen-shot to show who much is used on idle.Regards,

Yeah, of course I didn't expect I could ever kill off all processes - the machine would be shut down then of course ;) I just don't remember the two indicators being different at idle before. Of course, 'before' I was running a different motherboard and didn't have the same level of overclocking...Here's a screenshot anyway: I closed a large proportion of services off then let it idle. Then I run several programs at once to show that the core usage is in fact fairly even. Finally I shut them down again and let the machine return to idle.Geoff