Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Strange Monitor/Video Card Mystery???

First a little background:Some months ago, I upgraded my computer (for about the twelfth time, I have lost count). System specs. are included below.My Motherboard is an ASUS P5N-E-SLI with an Intel E6600 Core2Duo CPU. I started off with dual NVIDIA VC8800GTX 768MB Video cards. For unknown reasons, I could never get the cards to work together. Multiple monitors are manditory to me personally, so I did not desire an SLI configuration, although I did try that arrangement as well without success. Either Video card worked fine in either slot, but they would not work together, and I really don't remember all of the details as to the problem. Best I remember, it worked some of the time, but at others the secondary card would not give a display. I strongly sustpect either the Motherboard and/or temperature problems but that has not been confirmed.I returned my secondary VC8800GRTX to Newegg (About a $100 loss thanks to restocking) and purchased a VGA PNY VCGFX522PPB 5200 256M PCI card for my secondary. As has been posted by many on this forum, this did not work either as two different type NVIDIA drivers in one system are not compatible.I then switched to an ATI Radeon/Diamond X1550PRO256PSB PCI video card for my secondary as the diverse drivers for the two different manufactured cards are compatible. I have used this configuation for about a year now, and it has worked wonderfully, sometimes implementing four monitors, and at the present time, three.I normally use the power options in Windows XPPro to activate the screen saver in 20 mins. shutdown the monitors in 30 mins. and the harddrives in 45 mins so that the system will be at a partial rest during the night.Now the quirk: For the past three or four days, when I come in in the morning, press my space bar to crank her up, everything plays except my third monitor off of the secondary PCI video card. When I go into my display property settings and try to activate it, I get an error message telling me the drivers for that card are for an outdated version of windows and I need new drivers (which I do not).I started out with Catalyst Version 7.4.5 for Windows XP. Later I updated to the Catalyst Version 7.5.6. I tried the Catalyst Version 8.2.2 which came out just a few days ago which did not work for me. I went back to the Version 7.5.6 which display fine.For the above problem, I completely cleaned house with the traditional routine of all display drivers and started over. Same thing. I can reinstall the Catalyst Drivers for the ATI card, and the error goes away (until the next morning) and everything works fine with my monitor settings retained (resolution, refresh rate, etc.). It doesn't seem to make any difference whether I go through the complete routine with driver cleaner etc. or simply reinstall the drivers. This only takes a few seconds, but is a nusience.I normally leave her running 24/7, but am going to try without the Monitor/harddrive shutdown options, and/or start manually shutting down my computer at night and see if the same thing happens. If this works, the problem certainly is not a biggy, but I am curious if anyone else has seen this happens and/or found a soulution.Respectfully:RTHASUS P5N-E-SLI MotherboardIntel E6600 Core2 Duo CPUZalman CNPS7700-CU RT CPU Fam4 GB KST DII800 MemoryWinXP ProNVIDIA VCG8800GTX 768MB Primary Video Graphics Card21

The problem turns out to be a new AVG Antivirus update that considers the driver content to be a virus. There is another post regarding this problem with the disabling of Flight1 files as well.Regards:RTH

I would recommend that anyone useing AVG free edition read the "How to stop AVG antivirus scan from deleting my addon F...." thread by Manny in the FSX forum.Respectfully:RTH