Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skeurton

help setting up new computer

well, i'm finally making the leap. my aging P4 has been struggling to keep up with the latest and greatest applications. so i ordered a bunch of parts, which should be here early next week. here are the specs...Q6600 Core 2 Quad CPUASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard4GB DDR2800 RAM8800GT 512MB500GB SATA HDD (for Vista 32-bit)320GB SATA HDD (for XP 32-bit)i've failed to keep up with computer technology the past few years, so i've been doing a lot of catch-up reading. i'm also trying to prepare for all the OS/software installations i'm gonna have to do. but i just have a few questions...1) as you can see, i'm planning on doing a dual boot setup. i've read that you have to install XP first, then Vista. is this correct?2) i've also read that when installing both OS's, only put 2GB of RAM (at most) in first. then once both OS's are installed, go back and install the rest of the RAM. is this correct?3) i ordered a Vista install disc that includes SP1. does anyone know if this includes SATA drivers for the installation process? or will i need separate drivers on a USB drive/floppy/etc.?4) is there anything else i should be aware of before setting this thing up?thanks for the help.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!