Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvat

Just sharing my WinXp Pro Sp3 install experience

Recommended Posts

During the Sp3 build 2600 install got hang up for a good while. I barely had any control of the pc, but at least my mouse cursor would move. I brought up task manager (ctrl + alt + del). Near the bottom of the list was a new program running, "shmgrate.exe". I killed that process, and the Sp3 install continued.I did a google search of that process(got my trusty laptop running by my elbow) and got hits that it's either a process of Sp3, or a trojan.Got to the reboot option, and all went well. Loaded all the way into windows.Discoverd that about 20 minutes the desktop seems to lock up. Scanned with N360, Spybot, "MAM". All scans good. Ran Ccleaner. Scans were very hard to accomplish and took lots of patience. My pc wasn't really locked up, just running extremely slow. For a mouse click, I'd wait about 5 minutes to get a response. Starting the scan's took a long while.Reboot to safe mode. Rescanned. All reported good.Reboot to windows. Same thing after 20 minutes or so.Reboot to safe mode, and selected system restore point that Sp3 saved before it began its install.I haven't troubleshot anything to see if N360 or something was the cause of all this. Just wanted to share. Well, I did run a .vbs tool that checks AMD proc pc's that ensures it's ok to install Sp3 and it checked ok:https://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspxWell, hopefully everyone else has better luck.JimBWinXp Pro Sp2MSI K8T Neo-VAMD64 s754 3700+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!