Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

january

Extremley Confused Nvidia User with Drivers

Nick- re your older computer- I'm also using a GeForceFX5200 card- in fact 2 of them (AGP & PCI) to drive FS9 with triple monitors/triple views. They are totally reliable- never a crash. The drivers were installed by a housecall tech who also added RAM for me some two or three years ago. So I haven't a clue as to what version they were. I suppose these drivers are living proof that old is beautiful. (both the drivers and me!)Alex Reid

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Ale, many thanks for your reply The new drivers seemed to have screwed up more than they have solved! If you click on Control Panel and System and under the hardware tab, select device manager and under Display Adapters you shoudl see your Graphics Card. if you double click on it you should have a window with a tab sayingt Driver on it. When you have this you should be able to see what driver version you are using and when it was updated. I would sure love to know where and how I can get a driver that will stream my video on the older PC and not restart the PC constantly!At the moment I keep putting the PC into hybernation because it saves the bother of shutting it down and then going through the restart problem so many times. TYhanks for your reply Alex

Nick- live long enough and you find out all sorts of things- I had been looking in Control Panel/Display.The driver for both FX5200 cards appears to be the same- 8.1.9.8 dated 12/10/2005.Old is beautiful!! Hope this is useful. This system is so reliable and stable, it will continue to be around for some time. Thanks for steering me.Alex Reid

Gee Thanks Alex, That is useful to know. Going to have a hunt around the web to see of there are any drviers from that era floating about and will see if that improves my situation. Ill let you know how it goes!Thanks againNick

Well after a bit of trial and error today I managed to find a driver that stream's my video OK and also does not make my computer crash - so I am a little happier. I have found an older driver than you are using Alex (I tried a similar verion one to the one you have but it did not agree with my system! Tried alot actually but the first one I cane across to do the video streaming properly and not crash my PC was version 7.8.0.1 dated 02/08/2005. Seems to be OK at the moment so I am not going to do any updates for the driver any time soon (if ever). Would still love to know how you are supposed to combat these issues as I am sure I cant be the only one to try a driver with this type of effects and now I am being forced to use a driver from 2005 to not upset my system?

Nick- glad to hear you've solved the problem. This confirms my philosophy on life- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".Interesting how the amount of technological BS has grown in parallel with the slowdown in real tech progress of recent years. ("let's make it more complex and the customers will think it's progress".) Given my level of tech incompetence, I wouldn't dare to wrestle with something like FSX & new hardware!! The pic is proof that old is beautiful!Alex Reid DF Bonanza @ CYYJ "Ready for takeoff- R09" AMD XP2200,2 GeForce FX5200 cards/FS9. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192299.jpg

Yes, well I only started to fiddle with the drivers because I wanted to stream video properly on the PC which was not working as it should, and which I managed to pinpoint was a driver issue. Anyway now I have it wokring will not be changing anything at least until I have things clear in my head which will probably be never - not many people around seem to know how to work them either (or anyone that I have come across)? Yes it certainly seems from my point and from yours that progress has come at a cost to us! Great pic btw - nice setup, FS9 does great for me :) Nick

Hi Guys, I am hoping someone can come to my rescue as I am lossing my rag with Nvidia Drivers for there graphics cards. At the moment I have 2 PC's - one older PC which I use for documents and emails and a newer PC which I use for Video Editing and some gaming. I have had similar problems with both PC's over the last few months and have never really been able to solve the problem or get to the bottom of the issue... all I do know is that updating the drivers for my GPU is causing a severe error which is leading to problems with the BIOS so my system keeps booting and then restarting (nevber reaching the desktop). 1. I have just updated the driver in my old PC to what was recommended as the latest driver (175.16). Subsequently I found that there was a newer version (175.19) which I have also tried but I have the samer problem. The graphics drivers have installed OK but the computer has entered a cycle of shutdowns and restarts and will hardly ever boot to the desktop. The reason I wanted to update the drivers on this PC was because I noticed that a video playback programme was not streaming properly and after looking into it I found that updating my driver for the GPU would fix this, which it has. The PC will hardly ever boot to desktop because of the Blue screen error and reboot problem which keeps occuring (just keeps going from starting up to having the blue BIOS screen and then re-starting). The specs of the older PC are:3.0GH Processor1GB RAM256MB FX5200 Nvidia GeForce Graphics Card160GB Hard DriveXPBefore I started to update the drivers this weekend I previously had a driver that was very old which is the reason some of the video playback I mentioned earlier was not working as it should. 2. I also have new(ish) PC purchased about 8 months ago which looks like this:Intel Q6600 Quad Core Processor2GB RAMASUS P5K SE MotherboardVista Ultimate2x500GB Hard Drive + 150GB WD Raptor Hard Drive 512MB 8800GT GeForce Nvidia Grpahics Card (currently using Driver 7.15.11.7516 form 02.05.08)19DBa Intel CPU Cooler800W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case FanWhen I first had this driver for this PC I experienced alot of the same problem as I said above (system would keep rebooting and would take 5-6 times before it would get to the desktop). However over time I have not seen as much of this problem on the new PC. I also managed to find out that a problem with my antivirus was causing a problem on this PC with the restart problem (Kaspersky).So my experience with Nvidia drivers has never been straight forward or easy and I have never really understood how to deal with problems such as the main one that I have been experiencing wth the system shutdowns and restarts. I have seen other posts on various forums which have helped me to understand that I think that this is known as BIOS error's as I have the blue screen which comes up between every restart when I have the problem. I have also seen on various forums that the latest Nvidia drivers do have some problems which leads me to think is this a general problem..... or is it more specific??Can anyone help me as at the moment although my new PC seems to be OK, the PC I use for emails and other documents does not seem to want to turn on at all (just keeps re-booting) and generally it would be nice to know how to update drivers without having this problem all the time. 1. Is there a way I can find out what drivers I can use without causing such a problem (do I need a slightly older driver that updates but still works)?2. Do I need to edit something in my computer/hardware settings to counter the problems. Any help on this subject would be greatly apprecaited as the subject of drivers for my Nvidia cards has never been clear to me.Many ThanksNick