Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rhodges

Completely lost power - HELP!

For many years I have usually left my computer on 24/7, as was the case this morning.When I came in this morning, I had an NOD notification telling me that i needed to update my Antivirus Database. This puzzled me a bit as I have the automatic provisions selected for updating every night. Everything else looked ok with the computer, monitors, and everything else running and displayed normally. In any case, I decided to shut my computer down, and restart it (cold restart). DISASTER. It would not restart. The only sign of life I had was that the "Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock" indicator lights on my keyboard were intermittently blinking very rapidly. I unplugged the computer, after about 30 seconds plugged power back in, same thing. Tried the same thing with the keyboard, same results. Repeating this process several times, I finally lost the blinking keyboard indicators.Unplugged everything, put the computer on the bench, opened the case and blew out all of the dust. Unplugged the Power Supply and tried to check pin voltages unsuccessfully, but if I remember and understand correctly this cannot be done without load anyway which is done with a test apparatus. The only thing I got was 2.54VDC on the PSON# pin, and 3.47VDC on the +5V Standby pin. Plugged the power supply back in and tried to check a few pin voltages from the back side of the connector and got nothing. As some have advised, tried grounding the "green" PSON# lead and still nothing happened.The only other sign of life I have seen, is that after being completely off, and then being turned back on the fans turn over a few revolutions (Unplugging or turning the PS off, then back on and closing the computer power switch). I strongly suspect this is from starting capacitor components, and not the PS. As long as power is plugged in, the green MB light is lit.I tried to patch in an older computer's power supply, but of course it was the older ATX 20 pen connector rather than the 24 pin unit I need. Tried my wife's computer, same thin,k a 20 pin PS to MB connector.Appears to me the most likely culprit is the Power Supply, although the moment and conditions of failure are a bit strange. Before I started investing, I thought I would post this and see if anyone had seen this exact same thing happen, or had any suggestions.In addition, I would appreciate any information on the latest and greatest Power Supplies available in approximately the 1,000 watt supply range.Respectfully:RTHASUS P5N-E-SLI MotherboardIntel E6600 Core2 Duo CPUZalman CNPS7700-CU RT CPU Fam4 GB KST DII800 MemoryWinXP ProNVIDIA VCG8800GTX 768MB Primary Video Graphics Card21

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

New Corsair HX1000W Power Supply solved the problem.Was a bit of a hassle getting her to boot up again. Apparently disconnecting everything upset the startup bios. Deleted, and recreated my raid0 Array (WITHOUT DELETING DATA) and set up the proper device selection (My Raid Hard Drives) and everything plays beautifully.Happy Flying:RTH

Good News and bad news I guess.The good news is that BFG finally replaced my power supply with no hassle. I got it today.The bad news is that it took almost two months for this response. Far too long for me to sit here without a computer, so obviously I had already replaced it (with another brand and model).For what it might be worth:RTH