Sign in to follow this  

Different joystick sensitivity for fixed wing?

Fellow chopper pilots,With helicopters, I crank up my flight stick sensitivity to 100% with no null zone. But once in a while I still love to do some fixed wing flying. Just curious if you guys change the sensitivity setting when you are flying fixed wing? I find full sensitivity actually makes flying fixed wing less realistic (well, not that i have flown a real plane)... Your reply would be much appreciated.Jonathan Kong

Yes. I use default settings for fixed wing otherwise the plane is too jumpy. 100% might be okay for a fighter jet that's unstable by design but not for general aviation craft that are designed to be stable.

Yep, the joystick sensitivity should be turned a bit down, or you'll experience a Cessna182 acting like a tomcat. When i flew fixed-wing planes once (i don't do that now) i set the null zone a bit wider and sensitivity down to about 70%. Makes no sense adjusting your throttle as well, but you might want to use 80% settings for your rudder, too. The rudder is not that effective like it is when flying helicopters, and on fixed-wing planes, you almost never use it. Oh, and surely you want to take the invertion off your throttle/collective. Very annoying if you want to give full power, pushing the throttle control forward and you set your engine to idle :-). Happens every once i a while... That sounds like a lot of things to do, for just a short hop around the block in a plane? You're right. Stick to your choppers. Like someone has below it's postings here. Boys fly jets, men fly helicopters...Keep that ventilator above your head turning!Ballistero