Sign in to follow this  
blave

random FS helo ramblings

Due to lousy wx here in San Jose over the weekend, I spent way too much time sitting here fiddling around with FS2002 and the helos... here are a couple notes.1. I have re-realized how awesome Antti's Dauphin is. I played with it a bit in the early days (1.0/1.1), back when everyone was trying to get their arms around its "differentness" and its requirement to RTFM, but I never dug in deep enough to figure out the SAS/ASE/flight director systems, and since I upgraded to XP a few months ago, I never re-installed the Dauphin into my new FS2002 area. Now that I have 1.2 installed, and have those bits figured out, I am just in awe of this work of art. I have been raving elsewhere recently about the excellent-ness of the new Flight1 Piper Meridian payware airplane, but IMO the Dauphin deserves similar praise - particularly since (a) it's freeware and (:( it was done by just one guy.The new "Trimble" GPS in 1.2 is also pretty cool. I never fiddled with the old FMC thingie in 1.1 (and 1.0? I forget) so I can't make a comparison, but it's really neat to be able to create a flight plan and then have Otto fly the whole thing!2. I also downloaded and installed Stephen Hanley's HeliHUD into my Jet Ranger. In addition to making my flying a little better, it has helped convince me that MS is modeling ground effect and translational lift in a reasonably accurate manner... HeliHUD's number and graphic displays make it a lot easier to see these things happening, at least for me.I'll close by offering up the GPS database entries that I made, in gaugesTrimblenavdata.txt. There aren't many, but if anyone flies in my area they're a good start. (Lat/Long coordinates are from www.airnav.com.)A,KSFO=37.619,-122.374,4,SAN FRANCISCO;A,KSJC=37.362,-121.929,18,SAN JOSE;A,KRHV=37.333,-121.820,41,REID HILLVIEW;A,KSNS=36.663,-121.606,26,SALINAS;A,KSBP=35.237,-120.642,64,SAN LUIS OBIS;A,KPAO=37.461,-122.115,1,PALO ALTO;A,KSQL=37.512,-122.250,2,SAN CARLOS;A,Q99=37.082,-121.597,86,SAN MARTIN;V,SFO=37.619,-122.374,4,USA;V,SJC=37.375,-121.945,18,USA;V,SNS=36.664,-121.603,26,USA;V,MQO=35.252,-127.760,446,USA;I,SUNOL,37.606,-121.810,USA;cheers,Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest Lindy

Dave, I too enjoyed Antti's Dauphin. I had the first version working quite well although I never did get as far as using the autopilot -- I hand fly everything.Unfortunately now that I've "upgraded" to his version 1.2 (the Heli-Link), I can't get it to work at all as instructed -- with joystick disabled, etc. Long story, short -- I just leave my JS enabled and fly the Heli-Link as a regular helo in FS. I still enjoy it though, but I need some serious practice in landing it! It REALLY likes to drift. :-lol-Lindy :-wave

Guest Skymed

Dave..It's great that you find my HUD useful. If you are using the version from Avsim, there is an updated version of it over at www.digital-flight.comHappy hovering.