Sign in to follow this  
Guest FUMNX

Autorotation

Guest FUMNX

Hi everybody,I wonder why it is not possible to autorotate with a helicopter in fs9. As far as I remember in fs2000 (or was ist 2002?) an autorotation was possible quite realistic. with crtl-f1 set the engine to idle, looked at the needles to split and went down smoothly. Even some of the helicopters were able to come to a reasonable hover after the flare. I am not a programmer, so I do not know where the problem lies. This is just an advise - or better a wish - for future projects of more and more realistic helicopters.That

Guest jcomm

For a realistic rendition ofr helicopter flying, excuse me... but forget about MSFS. It's true that fs9 brought to the lower level ever, but previous versions weren't also that great...Although not falling in lovefor it, I have to admit that X-Plane does have very realistic helicopter flight models...P.S.: fs9's Bell still autorotates, but not as good as it's fs2k predecessor! The R-22 is, simply put - RIDICULOUS!!!

Guest FUMNX

Hi,thanks for the reply.how do you manage (Jetranger) to maintain rotor-rpm within the green arc? When I try to do so, rotor-rpm drops to the engine-needle, although speed is set to about 65 kts. Nevertheless the machine seems to mock-autorotate,

Guest jcomm

I'm afraid I no longer have MSFS9 installed on my disk....I still have fs2002, and that one has a much better "helo" FM for the Bell as well as some add-on helicopters I downloaded from a few sites.MSFS9 as lot's of graphics sugar, yes, but mostly at the expense of some notable sacrifices in other areas, namely one that I give priority - flight models...

As you have noted the R22 doesn't autorotate correctly. However, the Jet Ranger can, with just one small trick (which wasn't required in FS2002): after setting the fuel controller to "idle", pull just a little bit of collective. This will keep the RRPM from decaying as it will if you don't do this. Of course this is backwards from real life but, once that small adjustment is made, it behaves much like the FS2002 autorotation model.re: X-Plane - as I recently posted on some usenet forum, I own X-Plane 7.x, and (despite really wanting to like it) I do not find its helicopter flight model to be realistic. It's certainly more unstable, which of course is the very nature of a helicopter, but not in a way that makes me think I'm flying a real one.FWIW I have about 115 hours in helicopters (not nearly enough yet!), mostly in S300Cs, and most of the balance (30-ish hours)in Robinsons. I'm still looking for some Jet Ranger time 8^) .Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest FUMNX

Hi,the trick with the collective up a bit worked. Although the Jetti has much more kinetic energy in its rotorsystem, it will not be able to climb nor will it fly with about 40 kts IAS with vario @ 0 ft/min. To come to a short end: sim never cannot be better than the real thing! I have the same feeling about x-plane. You actually do not have the feeling to have control over the helicopter. As I posted another statement somwhere here in this forum, flying sling-load with x-plane sounds good, but is far from reality. Perhaps we should wait another decade ;-) to let come normal simulators to at least frasca-status.For you Dave, I really can recomend you some flighttime on a 206! I have about 200 h Rotortime on Hu300 and R22 and a bit of 206. Autorotation on the 206 is absolute fantastic. Compared to other helicopters it is almost like a soaring plane.... smooth and easy!That