Sign in to follow this  
RoughLandings

Helo Start up problem

I thought I would post this question here while I waited for my registration for the hovercontrol forums to be approved. I was just starting to go through the ground school training forums over there and was working on starting up my Bell 206 from a cold, dead cockpit. I went through the proper sequence: Master switch, avionics switch, fuel check, fuel valve on, then monitor rotor RPM. The problem is that the rotor RPM never gets above 15%. Now, if I switch into a fixed wing, start it up and then load up the chopper again, it is running. I can't even get it to start using the cntrl+E command. I am really frustrated about this because I want to make my simulation experience more realistic in flying my helos. Any ideas why my rotor RPM isn't climbing like it should be? Thanks,

Guest AckAck

Raise the collective slightly when starting, allow the RPM to build into green, and then you should have full range of motion available. (Although I think I answered your post at Hovercontrol too - sorry for the duplicate answer.)Brian

Guest keith10

Many otherwise great helos are buggers to start.The beautiful Bell 407's by Manual Gonzalez (eg. Bell 407 Vercion#2 Swiss) are examples.I've tried the panel mod. (TurbineStart), and it helps.To get the Bell 407 going there is a definite sequence (after 2 monthsof messing around, & many beers).You may have to assign new keyboard commands.1) Without fail, the rotors must be dead still. If the rotor brake doesn't work, cut the fuel valve.2) Do the usual battery on, master avionics on, generator on.3) You don't have to fiddle with the rotor clutch, jet start or governor.4) Turn fuel valve on.5) Collective throttle to max.6) Hit collective start button.7) Turn your joystick collective to about 25% (very important). If N2 drops, you've given it too much collective.8) Your N2 gauge should now be about 20%.9) Richen the mixture slowly(I have assigned this to Cntl + Shift + F4)10) When N2 reaches 100% (green zone), the engine should fire up, and the helo take full collective. 11)Take off & play. Hint - on this helo, don't put it into expert mode. You'll be sorry! This sequence usually works. If not, quit, it is too frustrating.There are some other small tricks, which I will post when when I think of them.Cheers! http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/80729.jpg