Sign in to follow this  

NOTAM #1: Socata TB20GT Trinidad

NOTAM #1:A.On many systems (four of mine included) the key combination to adjust aileron trim seems not to work at all! The same is true of the rudder trim!However, I've found that applying a few degrees of left rudder will also level the wings and kill the counter-torque right drift.Turn off the numlock key, and use the 0 key to add left rudder, 5 to re-center the rudder, and Enter to add right rudder.Tapping the 0 key several times, and then waiting a few seconds for the a/c to respond, I was able to trim for straight and level flight with ease. In fact, even in 180/17 winds, I followed a 200 nm track with zero drift after trimming the a/c at cruise speed and altitude. Because of the winds, I did use the AP Alt Hold to maintain cruise altitude. IRL, I would also have used the AP HDG Hold, but I wanted to test the stability of manual trimming for HNav purposes.B.It has come to my attention that there is a near-duplicate {flight tuning} section in the aircraft.cfg file. Please use notepad to remove the second section and save the file. This will greatly improve handling in the short run. However, a revised set of air dynamics will be available within a week to fix this and several other issues.There will be TWO selections available in FS2k2's Aircraft select menu:RealisticRecreationalThis will allow everyone to choose whichever they are most comfortable with...More information and updates may be found here: http://mtco.com/~rsam/FAQs.htmBill

Fr. Bill,After reading this post, and having followed the progress of this project with great interest for some time now, I downloaded your TB20GT Trinidad this morning. Congratulations on a great looking a/c and a stunning VC. Regarding the aileron trim, I opened the airfile with AirED and found the aileron trim not enabled in section 516 aileron and rudder trim. Aileron trim factor was set at 0.00 causing no effect from keyboard or other inputs. A reasonable range for this airfile entry for light a/c is -0.05 to -0.1, start low and adjust to suit yourself should you wish to enable aileron trim on your Trinidad. However, the cause of your right turning tendency may be found in the a/c CFG file under (general engine data), the engines lateral position was set at -0.800 which will cause a right turning tendency(positive numbers cause a turn to the left). The fix is simple, set this value to 0.00 and the a/c will track straight and true on the ground and in the air unless p-factor and torque sliders are adjusted towards "more real" causing the normal left turning tendency to be present. Many thanks for this great new toy!

>Fr. Bill, >After reading this post, and having followed the progress of >this project with great interest for some time now, I >downloaded your TB20GT Trinidad this morning. >Congratulations on a great looking a/c and a stunning VC.Thank you for the kind words. To say that we are still reeling from the number of folks who've d/l'ed this little project. We had steeled ourselves to expect maybe one or two hundred... after six months or so! >Regarding the aileron trim, I opened the airfile with AirED >and found the aileron trim not enabled in section 516 >aileron and rudder trim. Aileron trim factor was set at 0.00 >causing no effect from keyboard or other inputs. A >reasonable range for this airfile entry for light a/c is >-0.05 to -0.1, start low and adjust to suit yourself should >you wish to enable aileron trim on your Trinidad.Thank you for this. Tom G., our FDE consultant literally 'wrote the book' on flight dynamics for Abacus. He's just submitted a revised set of FDE's for me to test. I'll look into the .air to see if aileron trim has been enabled yet.> However, the cause of your right turning tendency may be found in >the a/c CFG file under (general engine data), the engines >lateral position was set at -0.800 which will cause a right >turning tendency(positive numbers cause a turn to the left). >The fix is simple, set this value to 0.00 and the a/c will >track straight and true on the ground and in the air unless >p-factor and torque sliders are adjusted towards "more real" >causing the normal left turning tendency to be present. Many >thanks for this great new toy! Ah, now here is where the 'trade offs' begin. The offset was quite deliberately made to provide an offset for the normal engine torque and p-factor. It is an attempt to workaround FS2k2's inability set the engine at an offset angle to the central axis, as is done in real life. This of course, predicates that the sim pilot have realism set at or near max! :)I've found that just a few 'clicks' of left rudder will compensate for the counter-torque produced by the -0.800 lateral offset to the engine.Thank you again for your kind note! I hope you enjoy this as much as we'e enjoyed building it. Of course, there's always room for improvement, so we aren't just going to walk away, and count all the $'s we've earned... :)