Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dalat

Cathay Pacific flight plans

Guest Dalat

Hello, I'm looking for any recent Cathay Pacific flight plans using a 744 or 772 to Europe, U.S., within Asia, where-ever. Does anyone have any in their possession that they wouldn't mind sharing?Out of curiosity, does anyone know what's now considered the most difficult/challenging airport to make an approach for landing? In many people's opinion, it used to be Kai Tak (used to live only a few miles from there), but what airport's taken that "coveted" spot?Best regards,Dalat

Hi Dalat,As for your first question... I don't have any flightplans on me, but you can simply make an accurate one using the PACOTS (PACIFIC ORGANIZED TRACK SYSTEM) tracks available at https://www.notams.jcs.mil. Just combine them with info from similar flight plans.CX888 is a great little flight. It departs from VHHH to CYVR to KJFK. CX889 is the return flight. My stepdad recently retired as a 747-400 training captain on Cathay, and I can assure you that they don't do anything really special with their routings.I may be partial, but doing the VOR/DME 13L at New York's Kennedy, with minimum weather, can be as challenging as the IGS approach into Kai Tak. My stepdad believes this, and he flew into Kai Tak for almost 20 years. Phil Geddes

Guest Dalat

Hi Phil,I'll check out the PACOTS site, that may be the way for me to go. I have all the US High/Low Enroute charts, so I could probably put something together from KJFK to CYVR. When I lived in Spokane, Washington, I used to take flights from KGEG to CYVR and catch the Cathay Pacific flight at that point to HK to visit my parents. So I think I've been on that flight out of CYVR that you mentioned. Now that I live in Eugene, OR, my flights to HK are from SFO, so the scenery's not the same (this route on United takes us just north of Hawaii and over Taiwan to HK).The flights out of CYVR always seemed to end up in Seoul for a refuel, mostly because of some incredibly strong head winds. Something about me and that jet-stream :-) Wasn't my favorite place to transit, especially with that many people waiting around in the terminal and all the shops closed (because it was late). On one occasion, it took the bus over 30 minutes to finally come out and get us off that plane! Meanwhile, 300 people are standing inside the aircraft getting angry, hot, and sweaty.Interesting to hear that your stepdad used to be a training captain for Cathay. My stepuncle used to fly Tristars for Cathay. He worked it out on one occasion for me to fly in the cockpit from HK to KL and then up to Penang, Malaysia. Most memorable experience I ever had (I was on my way to visit my brother and friends at boarding school), and I've been in love with Tristars ever since. I wish my stepuncle was still around to ask for flight plans, but oh well.Take care and I'll try my luck at Kennedy's 13L in minimal conditions.Best regards,Dalat

Good luck with the 13L approach!My stepdad started out with the 707... then the L-10-11, then the 747 "Classic", then the 744, then the 744 frieghtor. The United flight (which I've taken to hong kong as my mother is a flight attendant for United) will, of course depened on the wind. That's why you should use the PACOTS tracks as they are updated according to upper-level winds! One day you may be north of Hawaii, another day you may be up around alaska... all depends on the winds.I suggest this plan that I got from the VATSIM NYARTCC website... www.nyartcc.org(YVR-2.FERRY) J500 YXH J477 GGW DIK J36 GEP J68 BAE J70 (LVZ.LENDY5)Sometimes you may go further north for the jetstream.Happy Flying!Phil Geddes