Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pabra

TB20 help!

Guest DanWalloch

After the long awaited antisipation of the excellent TB 20 I quickly D/Led it the morning it came out. I had installed it but didn't get around to fly it until a few days later when I noticed a patch for it. So I put the patch in and decided to fly.Plopped myself onto a runway and opened the throttle wide open. After regaining control because of right turning of the airplane (funny, in real life airplanes have a left turning tendency), On my CH flight sim yoke usb, I had my trim wheel full nose up and the airplane wouldn't budge off the pavement at 70 kts so I dropped in one flap setting and still nothing, well heck I gave it full flaps and still nothing. With all this and full aft of the yoke nothing happened!! By this time I'm doing 120 kts running off the runway, I had to resort to the keyboard trim keys. After a enough nose up trim to get it off the ground the TB 20 went vertical, I pulled the flaps out and gave it full trim down on my yoke and full down elevator with my yoke, I couldn't get it to budge from vertical, I stalled and crashed tail first! I tried it all over and the only way to keep the airplane from going crazy (it still was though), I had to keep adjusting the trim via the keyboard. And not to mention the airplane is very jumpy when I finially got it somewhat settled down. All in all, I've had a lot of problems with the TB 20. I'm I the only one or are there others?

Guest Grey_Wolf

for take off I set the trim newtral (I dont use an axi for trim any more considering the trim setting keeps jumping) one notch of flaps. Ride the line down the strip the best I can and at about 120 it pops off the runway. After in the air I trim out for leven flight, no problems. it is a bit twitchy though, I still get it in to nice level flight.I think the key commands and the trim axi conflict with eachother. I flew the best I could for months after 2K2 came out with a trim lever. I made a flight console of sorts out of an old game port joystick In all I have 7 axi available to fly with. A nother post several months ago about trim problems while using an axis led me to disable the trim and use the keyboard keys alone. Untill I did that I had the problem your having with several aircraft, could never trim out for level flight, and the autopilot always fought with the axis for trim controll, in all just unplesent until disabled trim for any axis.That may help, give it a try, its an easy one at least.Having fun Grey_Wolf

Go into the aircraft.cfg file under flight tuning change the elevator effectiveness setting from 0.250,(or that was what mine said), to a 1.000. That will help when you put elevator down pressure on, or when using light back pressure getting of the runway. When taking of, as soon as you get liftoff, reduce the power. Get down to about 20 inches of mercury on the manifold pressure gauge, then use a bit of down trim. This plane is a very powerful model and one can very easily overpower it. You wouldn't want to floorboard a Ferrari or a Lamborghnini,(spelling), likewise don't firewall the throttle with this plane. I find this plane grows on you and once you get the hang of flying her, she is stable and fun.Re-read the instructions that Fr. Bill was kind enough to send with the plane. Use the power settings that are provided. By the way this is the first time I think, that anyone has provided the proper power settings with an aircraft, whether free or payware. I know a few have provided one or two lackluster power settings, but the Socata has come with a nearly full selection of power settings. Good for them I say!Now I feel a sudden urge to fly this thing coming over me, so will be off to do just that. :)If you have the E Dimensional glasses the virtual cockpit in true 3D is awesome. At 100% stero seperation, one can hardly tell the difference from the real craft. :-kewl

Guest mberg

or you can try the recent upgrades from the author's site. That set elevator effectiveness at .8--not bad

Guest Pabra

Sometimes the c.g. can be a bit offset forward or aft causing the plane to either be impossible to get off the ground or immediately stall on take-off. If correct it should cruise at normal speed without any trim input (trim=0). Then if it still hard to lift the nose at the required take-off speed, the main gear may be set too far behind the c.g. meaning too much weight on the forward fuselage. By setting them (main gear)further forward, the plane can take-off without any input from the controls. Too far means the nose wheel barely touches the ground resulting in ground steering difficulties and ultimately the tail will come down. This can all be done in the aircraft.cfg. This may sound simple but takes hours to archieve meaning starting fs, fly the plane, exiting fs, change parameter, etc. Ofcourse wing postion, root chord and angle of incidence also influence all flight characteristics. A steep learning curve but also rewarding if in the end you handle the plane and not vice-versa :-)